Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been having more and more issues with people walking through the yard display to get pictures either with props or in my yard. If I had a section for that it's ok, and we will usually have one or two props easily accessible for this reason. However its getting worse over the years, this evening I even had to tell adults to keep off the yard as it were. Some of this is due to so many power lines running through the yard for the various props. One lady walking through my yard actually got caught on a cord and ripped out my projector and didn't even care.

I'm looking for some feedback on how others keep people out of the yard as it were. I don't have a large yard and I'm thinking about trying to design a fence system that will break down and store easily (hopefully) or some other ideas.

Kind of scratching my head with this one. I want to do awesome halloween displays but if people cannot respect it, it makes me not want to do it as they just destroy my hard work and the money I spent.

From a holiday perspective it's our favorite holiday. We want to get bigger and do more. We are now at the point we probably need to start building our own props vs using the ever popular Spirit halloween store. It's just if I start getting into that I'm REALLY going to want to protect my investment from the Adults and kids that think that just because we have a display up that they can just do whatever they want.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice and maybe some suggestions on a possible solution for this. I don't really have a lot of storage space so anything that is space efficient is a plus!

Thanks a bunch!
-Joshua

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think if you want the most space efficient then I would go with the stanchion and rope or chain approach.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't have the problem because all of my props are fenced off. They'd have to climb over a fence to get to them and if they tried that, I'd whack them with a baseball bat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This year I built a 3 foot high fence out of pallet wood and pounded it into the yard. It looked awesome and gave everyone a physical edge to walk up to. I plan on building more sections to push it out further as my graveyard expands. The lengths vary from 3,4,&5 foot sections. Even though it belongs with the whole scene the whole reason I created it this year was to keep people out. It did its job. The spot closer to the porch does not have a fence yet and people kept tripping over a light. I need to build a new barrier there for next year.

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
So I've been building a super basic fence for years to discourage people from going into the yard. It started out with stakes and Halloween caution tape, but a few years ago I upgraded to PVC and chain.

This is an older image, but you get the idea. This is just basic PVC electrical conduit (which was cheaper than regular pipe at the time) with tea cup hooks screwed in, slid over rebar, and some plastic chain hooked onto the hooks. My yard is pretty wide and this goes the whole length, but breaks down into almost nothing at the end of the season. The pipes are the largest and they fit into a laundry sorter bag, the rebar goes into a bucket in the basement with all the other rebar used in my display, and the chain in a small Amazon box.
It's all lightweight (except the rebar), and the whole set up is flexible. I can change the shape and size according to my needs if I move or want to change how I set up my yard. I do have a bunch of spare unpainted pieces, because originally I was going to do my whole yard but I found it wasn't needed. I do have path lighting leading up to my door and most people don't seem to cross that either, but I have considered raising that too. So many projects, so little time and energy...

·
Registered
638 Posts
This year I built a 3 foot high fence out of pallet wood and pounded it into the yard. It looked awesome and gave everyone a physical edge to walk up to. I plan on building more sections to push it out further as my graveyard expands. The lengths vary from 3,4,&5 foot sections. Even though it belongs with the whole scene the whole reason I created it this year was to keep people out. It did its job. The spot closer to the porch does not have a fence yet and people kept tripping over a light. I need to build a new barrier there for next year.
The only potential trip hazard we had was right by the front door where we have a solar light. We recognized the potential problem and put a light-up decoration right next to it and no one had an issue. Our fencing is in 8-foot sections, 45 feet of it this year across our graveyard and I could probably do another 8 foot section there. Nobody can get close to anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is actually a pretty simple idea. it also doesn't block a lot of the display. I might have to do that myself. I didn't really think of rebar with a cover. I was in the thought of like crypt columns and pvc wrought iron fencing. Which is WAY more costly in terms of space, time and material. :)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
The only way to keep them out is to fence it off. And even then I have people trying to find a way inside but at least the fence gives me time to get to them and stop them from going over. I think people just get excited and lose their minds at the idea of a cool photo op. It does get frustrating though. My fence is just the basic pvc and 1x2 design you can find here on the forum. I'm thinking of upgrading to something a little sturdier or just finding a better way to stake it out. This year we had so much rain that the ground is super soft and rebar stakes are just not enough to hold it up. In dry years, it's fine though. It's always something, right? ;)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,506 Posts
Yup. Fence it off. Only way to remind folks not to walk into the area. I think it is extremely rare for anyone - even a small child - to ignore what a fence is there for. There are TONS of ways to make a fence, so it can fit in with whatever theme your haunt has.

I have a folding white white fence I got in the garden section of Lowes at least a decade ago, and I made cardboard columns (painted and topped with foam) just to break up the fenceline.

Here is the type I use, and it is fabulous as it shows up really well (this is the dark green version, which I tried, but exchanged as the white version shows up MUCH better at night and looks great). I used wire cutters after we figured out the lengths to get each section just right for the yard, and now it's a matter of pulling out the numbered section, unfold, stick into the ground, pound a few stakes in at measured intervals for the columns and snug them over and in less than an hour I have a great fence with minimum fuss. The added advantage is that I got the box it came in made out of coroplast and it all folds up neatly for storage into a 2 foot square (size of the box). I stack the columns on top of each other and they are light enough to not do any damage to anything so they can go on top of other decorations easily for storage.

^really old photo of the initial setup. I added shredded cheesecloth to give it more visual interest/define the area better.

I've seen chain, PVC, wood, pickets, the orange plastic roll construction stuff, caution/beware novelty tape strung up between posts... as long as you build it to be a strong visual "STOP HERE" barrier, it works well.

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
I had this problem too when I first started setting up my yard haunt. For the first few years I had props tripped over, knocked down and damaged from kids and even adults thinking my graveyard was set up for walking tours. Fencing is absolutely your best friend for a yard display, and it doesn't have to be elaborate. I use cheap plastic pole and chain from some old landscaping material I had on hand, but in years past I've also just used a big roll of yellow caution tape that I string around long stakes hammered down into the yard. Any kind of visible barrier that you put up gives the message to visitors to stay on the other side and not try to walk through. It's worked wonders for me since I started doing this, and I can now direct the flow of foot traffic along the sidewalk and up to the candybowl, rather than a shortcut through the yard.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Planning on doing my whole yard haunt next year. I do have a concrete sidewalk/paver stone pathway that encircles the house (just for this purpose ;) ) but the thought of how to keep people on the path and not into the grass area or planter bed area has been a concern. Will be following the thread to see what people have done themselves to solve the issue.

While I haven't tried it out yet, I did buy a number of those what I'll call lantern hooks from 99 Cent Only Store that are a few feet high and of good unbendable powder coated steel (Dollar Tree had them as well but theirs were much thinner and used less supportive steel). My thought was to place the hooks along the pathway in the grass/flower bed area and run lit LED string lights across them to not only light the path but discourage wandering. In the next week or two I'll try to set some up and see how it work and get back on it.

I do like the rebar/pvc/chain look. Nice especially for a castle scene or maybe mad lab setting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We used to have issues with people trying to go into our graveyard so we added a fence across the front of the yard. The worst were the kids trying to cut across from the neighbor’s house to ours by running through the side yard. We added a huge spider web from the corner of the house and planted some large rose bushes. This year we added a path from the fence gate through part of the yard to the driveway. We used rope light on the ground to mark the path. We also made some pathway markers out of shepherd hooks, plastic bones and lamps. We hung a vine between the markers. No one tried to cross and it was really easy to see in the dark. I added a picture at night and you can see the fence and lights. I also added a day time picture of the markers. FD38DE6A-FC6C-40B8-972F-69ED00997F8B.jpg 7242C5F0-0586-4310-8C8A-08CBB7C6796C.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Obviously theme specific, but I used 1/2" painted PVC pipe, ran 1x2 lumber horizontally approximately 3 feet high and wrapped the wood with burlap. About 1 and a half feet up I used coconut rope.

20181101_181911.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a few full grown adults without children walk right into my yard, kicked out several cords while they stumbled around my carefully arranged props and even went so far as to pick up my hand made torso along with several other props that were 100 feet from the road and the driveway. After one of them didn't seem to understand my firm 'stage voice' request to "Please, folks, keep to the driveway. Please.", I felt it was needed to walk up to the individual and when he said "What's the problem?", inform him to drop my rather expensive props and get the $*(# out of my yard before I add him to the display. I said it in a calm, low voice and meant every word of it. None of them were intoxicated or special needs, just inconsiderate and felt they had the right since it was on display. I informed the individual that so are the crown jewels but that doesn't give you the right to handle them either. I'm a very nice and reasonable person up until the point that someone else becomes inconsiderate of someone else's wishes. If I ask nicely, please understand that it's as a courtesy that can and will be revoked should you choose to ignore it. There is far too much theft and vandalism around here for me to indulge a 35 year old's self absorbed 'entitlements'.

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
That is actually a pretty simple idea. it also doesn't block a lot of the display. I might have to do that myself. I didn't really think of rebar with a cover. I was in the thought of like crypt columns and pvc wrought iron fencing. Which is WAY more costly in terms of space, time and material. :)
Yup. I love the look of those faux fences, but the amount of resources needed are a bit much for me. I will eventually get around to adding the finials I had purchased, but I use ravens and crows to top them Halloween night if the weather is decent for now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts