Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this tutorial from Ghoul Friday here:

Step-by-Step Prop Projects | My Ghoul Friday

All the materials I used I had already so this was totally free! HAAHAA Gotta love that! Okay, okay so I needed a pot. Behold:

As you can see, I used a 9" pot so this will be rather large. This was just a plastic pot I had kept from last year when I bought flowers from lowes. They died, btw. psshh I digress...

I wanted to make 3 man eaters on one stem. I head down to the basement .. aka: husband's territory. I found a metal pipe just the right size. I'm pretty sure it was a fence post. Then I grabbed up 2 whiffle balls and a child sized basketball that the kids outgrew many MANY years ago.

I wrapped them in foil and taped it up some w/ duct tape. I got out the paper mache (I use flour, salt and water) and put one layer on the pot and stem and 3 layers on the balls. Now NOTE: I wish I had done 2 more layers on the balls so keep that in mind. They were a little soft for my taste and more difficult to work with.

And then I took it all outside and put a layer of primer on it. Did I need to? Not so much. I was just looking for a reason to use the primer up. So feel free to skip this step. LOL EXCEPT, I didn't have to paint the inside of the plants with the primer on it so I guess that was a plus.

I got my handy dandy duct tape out again and taped the halves of the balls together to make open mouths.

Then I used a technique I learned from Spooky Blue's pumpkin rots and wound up paper towels and taped them tight then added them to the stem. To make them more sturdy I wrapped them up in 22 gauge wire. Then I taped the balls to them. NOTE: I would have gotten thicker wire but it's what I had on hand at the time. Again..free. heehee

Okay at this point it's time to get out the paper mache again. Now how am I gonna do this? It's a bit awkward. I can't just lay it down, it'll mess it up. Hubby to the rescue. He drilled a long wooden shaft into a solid wood board so I could slide the fence post over top of the shaft and voila! Much easier!

So I added 2 more layers of paper mache and one layer of the paper pulp. I also reinforced the two smaller stems with wiring them stronger to the main stalk. I also got my handy dandy glue gun out and went to my selection of plastic party forks and used the single tines for teeth. Pretty cool, eh???

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so it's ready for the finishing touches. I used acrylic paint. Green watered down a bit. Then spotted with the green not watered down then spotted with yellow watered paint. I painted the teeth white of course and added a tongue to the big one. (just painted paper)

To the pot I used the same technique I did w/ the green coloring except in brown. Then when that was dried I watered down some black, painted it on, then dabbed it back off with a moist paper towel.

The wooden dowel was punched through the pot so the pot itself is sitting on the block of wood. I painted the wood green and then glued some spanish moss on it. I couldn't really tell if it was spanish or not. It never said a word.

To fill the pot up I cut up part of a dark mahogany comforter to fill it to the top with "dirt". Then I glued the moss around it. For the final touch I wrapped vines around the stalk and here it is! My masterpiece!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I'm going to try to make one of my own this week. I have an old terra cotta pot that's sitting around being useless and needs to earn its keep around here. :) And I looooved Little Shop of Horrors when I was a kid. I used to have this game where you rolled dice and put marbles into Audrey II's mouth. It would also bite you occasionally. As I recall, it kinda hurt too. Lol. Wish I still had that thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just ran across this tutorial and I am going to attempt it for this years haunt. However, I have a question (probably a silly one) but oh well. I've used paper mache with balloons before but never a solid object. How did you get the balls out of the paper? Also, did you mache the entire thing or set it in a cup and only do what was showing. (something I do with the balloons)

Thanks for your help and creative idea. I can't wait to make one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts