Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my attempt at a WOOT Shirt inspired Man Eating Plant.

plant food woot shirt.jpg
I saw this a few years ago and wanted to try my hand at this.

I was lucky enough to find a case of SoudaFoam (yes a whole case, I danced a creepy happy dance only a 41yr old man can do) It was in my apartment left over from construction. It is a rigid expanding crack seal foam/fireblock. I used two cans to make the "head" of the plant but for the "roots" I bought a can of flexible window foam GreatStuff.

spray foams.jpg

The head is a Cardboard shell with an elastic band for jaw movement. the teeth are cut from foam mat and painted

plant teeth.jpg
plant01.jpg
plant03.jpg
plant05.jpg
plant04.jpg

These roots came out pretty good with the flexible window foam. A unexpected plus happened when I sprayed them out on a plastic trash bag so they wouldn't stick the the floor. In doing so the plastic formed to the expanding foam giving it a rounded backing instead of flat.

roots01.jpg
roots02.jpg

the fence is a repurposed crate that my neighbor was throwing out. All that was needed was to disassemble the crate and paint it white.

fence01.jpg

my intention is to make the head pop up and out with a simple (hopefully simple) mechanical arm control.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FINISHED!!! After some failed attempts at mechanization I ended up with using a modified catapult design that i will have to reset each time :-( oh well
the eyes light up and each rose/tulips has an eyeball center. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, it's the best my tablet can do. Enjoy!

plant11.jpg
plant12.jpg
plant13.jpg
plant14.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a really cool looking Man-Eating Plant!
I love the "leaping" idea!

A couple years ago, I Made a Man-Eating Plant gone crazy in our garage display.
I called it "The Hydroponic Horror"
2.jpg
I made great-stuff tentacles and attached them all over the place.
I based the plant off of a FCG unit I had, and had the mouth and arms moving.
1.jpg
I rough cut the head from bead foam, and shot great-stuff all over it, and covered it with a dry-cleaning bag, and let it expand to make a smooth surface. Styrofoam ball eyes, and more great-stuff, and raffia.
3.jpg
The "arms" were some leafy garland, suspended at the ends by spiderwire to the FCG mech. and I made a bunch of baby plants from plastic easter eggs on sticks.
4.jpg
Here's an overview of our "lab" set. It had a claxon sound effect, and a warning strobe, along with a video I made to show "other areas of the lab complex were "infected".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Lord Zodus
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing