Halloween Forum banner

Man Eating Plant (image heavy)

3586 8
this is my attempt at a WOOT Shirt inspired Man Eating Plant.

Green Illustration Graphic design Fictional character Tree

I saw this a few years ago and wanted to try my hand at this.

I was lucky enough to find a case of SoudaFoam (yes a whole case, I danced a creepy happy dance only a 41yr old man can do) It was in my apartment left over from construction. It is a rigid expanding crack seal foam/fireblock. I used two cans to make the "head" of the plant but for the "roots" I bought a can of flexible window foam GreatStuff.

Tire Automotive tire Spray Automotive wheel system Auto part

The head is a Cardboard shell with an elastic band for jaw movement. the teeth are cut from foam mat and painted

Wood Design Table Floor Hardwood

Headgear Crochet Brain Cap Dish

Rock Geology Mineral

Wreath Plant Christmas decoration Interior design

Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Rock Houseplant

These roots came out pretty good with the flexible window foam. A unexpected plus happened when I sprayed them out on a plastic trash bag so they wouldn't stick the the floor. In doing so the plastic formed to the expanding foam giving it a rounded backing instead of flat.

Table Lampshade Tree Lighting accessory Furniture

Font Number

the fence is a repurposed crate that my neighbor was throwing out. All that was needed was to disassemble the crate and paint it white.

Product Furniture Room Wood Toy

my intention is to make the head pop up and out with a simple (hopefully simple) mechanical arm control.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FINISHED!!! After some failed attempts at mechanization I ended up with using a modified catapult design that i will have to reset each time :-( oh well
the eyes light up and each rose/tulips has an eyeball center. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, it's the best my tablet can do. Enjoy!

Plant Flower Twig

Vehicle Fictional character

Product Table Plant Vehicle Machine

Table Vehicle Plant Cart

38 Posts
That's a really cool looking Man-Eating Plant!
I love the "leaping" idea!

A couple years ago, I Made a Man-Eating Plant gone crazy in our garage display.
I called it "The Hydroponic Horror"
Stage Architecture Building Music venue Sound stage

I made great-stuff tentacles and attached them all over the place.
I based the plant off of a FCG unit I had, and had the mouth and arms moving.
Dinosaur Room Tyrannosaurus Plant

I rough cut the head from bead foam, and shot great-stuff all over it, and covered it with a dry-cleaning bag, and let it expand to make a smooth surface. Styrofoam ball eyes, and more great-stuff, and raffia.
Stage Performance Music Event Performing arts

The "arms" were some leafy garland, suspended at the ends by spiderwire to the FCG mech. and I made a bunch of baby plants from plastic easter eggs on sticks.
Stage Violet Lighting Purple Performance

Here's an overview of our "lab" set. It had a claxon sound effect, and a warning strobe, along with a video I made to show "other areas of the lab complex were "infected".
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.