Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this year I want to start making my own tombstones. I figured I could make it out of some nice green foam from the flower section, it's easy to mold. However, other foams like the pink/blue foam are cheaper, I heard they are harder to mold without the right tools. I want to try plain white styrofoam like the stuff that comes in big boxes when you buy computers and tvs and such. I think it's cheap but i'm new at this. I came to the forums for advice and to ask what I could use to smooth coat these foams where sandpaper and files cant be or have already been used, so it's not too rough. Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Most of us here use the 2" or 1" high density foam from Home Depot. It is very easy to carve with great detail. Everyone here uses a Dremel tool to carve out letters and design after you draw it on the foam. Most people use some type of dryvit. Do a search for Monster Mud here. It is a recipe that makes a durable concrete looking finish. I usually finish by air brushing different layers of gray, brown, and black paint then finish off with exterior varnish.
stone2.jpg
Also, look at Terra's videos on how to make stones. Very good. She is on here.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
What's awesome about making foam tombstones is that they let the creativity fly. There isn't a set way or materials to use. In fact, when people go out of the norm and try new materials and/or techniques we love the additional ways :) For example, I got goofy one day and thought - why don't I try using Drylok as the protection paint for the stone. WALLA! Not only did it waterproof the stone, it came in gray already and as a bonus it has sand-like particles and after you drybrush it looks EXACTLY like stone.

Here's a video showing a full build using my preferred foam (pink/blue):

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
I have yet to try the pink foam because I keep finding big pieces of the white beaded foam for free. lol. With the beaded foam I use a Dremmel, and a razor for my carving with very little sanding. My sealing coat is a very heavy application of black or dark grey latex paint. Then I do the dry brushing with grey. White foam is very messy to work with. I'm getting better at the stones, but I've really got making aged wood down pretty good with the white foam. Did some signs and window boards that look just like real wood untill you pick them up and feel how light they are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of us here use the 2" or 1" high density foam from Home Depot. It is very easy to carve with great detail. Everyone here uses a Dremel tool to carve out letters and design after you draw it on the foam. Most people use some type of dryvit. Do a search for Monster Mud here. It is a recipe that makes a durable concrete looking finish. I usually finish by air brushing different layers of gray, brown, and black paint then finish off with exterior varnish.
View attachment 166179
Also, look at Terra's videos on how to make stones. Very good. She is on here.
I never thought about using Monster Mud on tombstones, thanks! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have yet to try the pink foam because I keep finding big pieces of the white beaded foam for free. lol. With the beaded foam I use a Dremmel, and a razor for my carving with very little sanding. My sealing coat is a very heavy application of black or dark grey latex paint. Then I do the dry brushing with grey. White foam is very messy to work with. I'm getting better at the stones, but I've really got making aged wood down pretty good with the white foam. Did some signs and window boards that look just like real wood untill you pick them up and feel how light they are.
I wish I could find tons of free styrofoam, I have a garage full of cardboard boxes of all sizes. do you have a tutorial of how to do that aged wood? We want to make some kind or bug sign or archway this year, I saw a pic on your fb and I loved how it looked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the name of that site? I can't tell what your saying 100% for making the paper layout. Your work is AWESOME!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts