Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started this project right after Halloween. Since our display has gotten bigger and more money has been invested in it we have been increasingly worried about vandalism, so making a more substantial fence than the flimsy pallet board fence we used the past two years has become a priority. The pallet fence has worked great the past two years as a deterrent to kids cutting through the graveyard and it was simple to set up and looked pretty good, but we want something taller that can't easily be hopped over, but still look good and fit our graveyard theme. I used the tried and true PVC conduit with wood lathe technique to build the new one. Making it in 8ft sections 38 inches tall and staggering the pickets between 36" and 38" high with 6" spacing. I'm about 60% done with the total build at this point having made 3 of the 6 fence sections I need and constructing the gate. The gate is just under 7ft tall and 8ft wide. I've ordered 150 finials from King Architectural Metals and they should arrive next week some time to finish up the sections I've made so far. We plan on using rebar to secure a post every 8ft, then zip tie the sections to the post. Should be a pretty effective deterrent to anyone thinking about hopping over to wreck something, though the deterrent will mostly be visual as the fence could probably be pushed over pretty easy if someone tried.

3 Sections of fencing set up. No finials yet and the support posts are just whatever I had laying around. I want to put a small skull on each support post.

The gate under construction. Sticking to a simple design and we will probably move our graveyard sign to hang on it.

My fake locks on the gate. We plan on wrapping some chain around the handles too.

I've been posting photos to the build album on my facebook page for anyone interested in more detailed information on the build - PVC CEMETERY FENCE

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks fantastic! I love the gate, too.
Hope it comes out looking as good as I envision it. I've tried to make the gate so that we can add arched lettering over it in the future. For this year we are going to just take our current cemetery sign off of the pile of skulls it is mounted to and attach it to the gate a bit askew. I liked to never get the lengths figured out to cut the pipe to get it arched how I wanted. I Finally resorted to using spray paint and freehanding the arc against the pipes on one side to figure out where to cut them off at. lol There were at least 5 marks on each pipe from where I tried to do it by eyeballing it and stepping back. Once I got one side figured out I just measured and cut the other to match. Was a lot trickier than I thought it would be.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woohoo! My finials arrived today and fit like a glove! I have been using square wooden dowels to make an adaptor by cutting them into 2" pieces sanding the corners off on 1/2 of the piece then tapping the rounded end into the pipes with a mallet leaving 3/4" of square end sticking out for the finials to go on. On a whim today I tried using a knife to quickly cut just the bottom corners off each dowel piece, then tapped them in with the mallet. Worked out fine that way and saves about 2 minutes of sanding for each dowel. Just leaves a little more clean up from where the round pipe shaves off the square dowel as it's tapped in, but not bad at all. I'll get the gate painted once warmer weather comes and make also the last 3 sections of fence I need. Had to set it up real quick for some pics of course. lol Grabbed some scraps of pipe to use for support. The finished fence will have posts with a small skull on each for the sections to attach to.

The finials look GREAT and were so easy to do by using square dowel to make an adaptor instead of melting the pipe and forcing it in. I may put a dab of gorilla glue on each if they start to get loose, but right now they are pretty tight. Secure, but can still be pulled right off easily should one get broken. I ordered about 20 extra.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job. Are you going to rust it up or leave it clean?
I think we are going to leave it clean for now. I'll be adding some webbing and other embellishments when we set up. I asked my wife if she thought I should rust it and she wants to leave it as is. Fine with me, less work, lol!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see you have a picture on Pumpkin Rot. Unless there is another Nightfisher
Yep. That's me! Was a crazy season last year for me with winning the Haunt Nation tombstone contest and a feature by Pumpkinrot. I do believe the feature was due to being entered in the Haunt Nation photo contest too. If memory serves, all who entered got a feature. Gonna be tough to top all the excitement from last year, but we're gonna try this year.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Fence looks great! I was inspired to get back to building ours after I saw your post~thank you!:rolleyes:

Got the holes routed out on the cross bars
and all of the pvc cut to length with ends sanded down to fit the finials. Primed & painted all of the cross bars...
next step, painting the pvc pipe.

Question: what did you use to paint the pvc pipe and did you have to sand the pvc first?
I was thinking of spray painting all of it after I apply the Great Stuff texturing(we're going for the aged rusting look).
If there's a better way to both crank out 96' of fence
painting, get good paint adherence, and not spend a ton of $$ on spray paint, I'm down for it. Any and all suggestions appreciated:D

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Looks very nice Night Fisher ! I love the gate !

I never bothered to sand my PVC pipe Pumpkin eater. Regular 3/4" PVC is stronger & cheaper than using electrical conduit. At least in this neck of the woods.

I used Rustoleum spray paint to paint the fence. I found the cheaper stuff just didn't cover well.

If you use 1" drywall screws to screw the PVC pipe to the wooden bars and real cast iron finials; they will rust naturally.

Myself, I wouldn't put a great deal of paint work into the basic fence, it will be seen at night & putting it up and taking it down always scraped the paint off of the PVC,,,Hence you're gonna paint it again next year.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lookin' good! I did some things similar, but I'm doing mine 1 section at a time to spread my budget for the project. $15 a section works out a whole lot better for me than $200 all at once! lol! I clamp my wood together like you did (but only 2 pieces) and do all my holes at once 6" apart. I've made a jig on my workbench so I can cut the conduit quickly without measuring. I have a very similar spray gun, but I painted mine after assembly so I could just walk around it and hit all the angles. I can build an 8ft section in about 30 minutes now that I've got it all laid out and simplified.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts