Halloween Forum banner

Making pirate dreads ..

Static: 
2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Skelly215 
#1 ·
I'm installing these in my hair for a pirate run I'm doing this coming weekend, but they'd look great on a prop!
Not hard to do, but a little time consuming. I have 6 down out of the 24 I'm making.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Instructions if anyone is interested.

Supplies:
Jumbo braid of 100% kanekalon hair, shown above.. Important it's this kind .. It's heat reactive. I bought mine at Sally's beauty supply.
Small rubber bands roughly same color as hair.
Very sturdy teasing comb, again I bought one for $1.97 at Sally's.
Plastic coat hanger, you are going to use the end to make a loop in the hair and to hold it as you back comb.
Washcloth wet, not sopping .. You'll need to rewet it often.
Hair straightener or iron. I used a straighter .. But we have a house full of girls.

Start by separating the hair into three equal sections, so you'll get six dreads out of each jumbo braid. Loop around the hook of a plastic coat hanger, fasten loop with two small plastic rubber bands.

Attachments

#3 ·
Next attach coat hanger to something sturdy, I tied mine to a wooden chair arm. You are going to need to pull against it. Now back brush the hair, packing it tightly against the top working your way down. Pull hair towards you tease torwards the rubber band .. Just keep working at it until you get what looks like two animal tails on each side. See pic.

I'll post pics of twisting them in shape and sealing the dreads tomorrow .. I back brushed today and will seal them tomorrow.

Attachments

#5 ·
Okay to seal into dread shape. Twist from top down, very tightly. Wrap in wet .. Not dripping wash cloth and apply heat. Be very, very careful of the steam. Work your way down to the end, wetting cloth as needed. I go over it several times on each side to make sure it can't unravel.

From here .. Dreads are made, you can attach them several ways depending if it's on a prop or a live person. I'm making a fall with mine and covering the rest with a scarf. They can be woven into your hair also. Look up installing synthetic dreads .. I don't have time to do that before the race. A prop .. Simple glue and cover with hat or scarf.

I'm going to embellish mine with jute and stuff twisted in. Try to take final pics when done.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.