Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I need help, I have been looking how to on here and online and am not getting anywhere. I would really love to make my own battery powered LED eyes.

I am not sure what LED to use and best place to buy. 3 mm will run on 3,4,5 v so I believe that is what I want.. what are your opinions and thoughts. please help.. thanks!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
hello, I need help, I have been looking how to on here and online and am not getting anywhere. I would really love to make my own battery powered LED eyes.

I am not sure what LED to use and best place to buy. 3 mm will run on 3,4,5 v so I believe that is what I want.. what are your opinions and thoughts. please help.. thanks!
A standard LED requires approximately 3 volts, not 4 and not 5. The size of the LED doesn't determine the correct voltage. You can power an LED with any voltage from 3v and up, BUT, if the voltage is more than 3v the LED requires the proper current limiting resistor or you will instantly burn out the LED. There are lots of LED resistor calculators on the web for finding the correct resistor, just do a search. Ebay is probably the cheapest place to buy LED's.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
...BUT, if the voltage is more than 3v the LED requires the proper current limiting resistor or you will instantly burn out the LED...
THIS!!
A quick flash, followed by a dull glow at best, along with a puff of the magical smoke that makes electric things work (has a lovely aroma), and the LED is history.

If you want a short cut, that's not expensive, have a look at eBay for pre-wired LED's with a certain voltage listed (I personally like 9 volt, as a 9 volt battery will power a small number of LED's for a couple weeks uninterrupted, and the size of a 9V is smaller than 2 AA batteries together in a holder).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts