·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.

Let's sum it all up.

The house is torn apart.

The yard is a mud pit.

It's supposed to rain out our party Sunday.

There are those who just accept fate in these situations.

For me, it's a question: Do we do the full yard walkthrough, or a front yard display?

The present situation:

Front yard fairly viable. Father ready to go.

The rest...

Now, I CAN cover the dirt with a boardwalk. It's the rain during the party that's the biggest problem. Kids. Mud. Shelter?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,692 Posts
We had to move our party last year due to epic storms and still ended up getting rained out the replacement day, and Halloween was raining and storming right up until 3pm or so, but we threw out what we could and still had a pretty decent night.

I say do whatever decorating you can (that won't be damaged by the exposure) and have a good time with whomever shows up. It might mean just doing a display instead of the walkthrough... but it is better than nothing and no one but you will know what is missing, and that means more surprises for next year. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see any pictures...only a small circle with a minus sign in it for each one...

Regardless, sorry to hear you are having lots of rain issues. Was your party an outdoor party? I hope you can still pull off the front yard display!
Think I fixed that.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We had to move our party last year due to epic storms and still ended up getting rained out the replacement day, and Halloween was raining and storming right up until 3pm or so, but we threw out what we could and still had a pretty decent night.

I say do whatever decorating you can (that won't be damaged by the exposure) and have a good time with whomever shows up. It might mean just doing a display instead of the walkthrough... but it is better than nothing and no one but you will know what is missing, and that means more surprises for next year. :)
My stuff is waterproof, it's just the carving party is outside.

I can cover the mudholes for the walkthrough easy enough. (yes busy morning)

And most the junk will be gone by then. Its the kids trying to put pumpkins in the walkthrough that's problematic.

The one potential coincidence, is the house is still torn up, which leaves me with a...~800 sq foot room that is covered, if not finished.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
I see the pics, now. I agree with Frankie's Girl...the yard looks fine enough to, at least, do a nice display. Do what you can, there, definitely. Rain and mud are always an issue where I live around Halloween, lol. It's pouring out there as I type, for that matter. Even if it rains or snows on Halloween, the kids still come out, lol. As for your pumpkin carving party...maybe you will get lucky and the rain will move up or get pushed back?? There is still time for the forecast to change! Do you have a garage you could utilize, just in case??

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Instead of the walkthrough could you use your construction space? Cover the floor with paper, decorate with what you have in there? Not sure if lighting would be problematic though. They could still place their pumpkins through out the room and everyone stays dry. :)

·
>^..^<
793 Posts
What Jackie said, that big open room might be great (for the carving party, I mean) if you could block off potential hazards. Is the floor going to wind up covered up in the end? If so I wonder if you could paint it in a halloween theme? Scary chutes n' ladders? ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good luck! Do what you can and remember to enjoy the day! If something doesnt get done, theres always next next year. I learned that lesson last Halloween myself.

Looks like you have a walkway down now.

I hope the rain holds off for you!

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got the wind, but rain is still not falling.

We had to tear down all the corn and reed grass for the wind, and I didn't bother with night pictures tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous, so I'll get some then.

Ever seen 126 pumpkins cleaned?

Some mirth that is usually not my style, but a couple construction hatted skellies seemed fitting.

With little other choice, seating people right IN the dang yard, a couple firepits right in the displays...worked really well.

Wind didn't keep people away.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Hey! Looks like another successful pumpkin carving party! Nice job under not so great circumstances. Have fun tomorrow and hope the weather holds out for you.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,766 Posts
Just remember, the greatest thing you are providing isn't the decor, the lighting, or the sound. The thing that will have the most lasting affect is the opportunity you provide the families to spend time togather creating their own memories.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just remember, the greatest thing you are providing isn't the decor, the lighting, or the sound. The thing that will have the most lasting affect is the opportunity you provide the families to spend time togather creating their own memories.
That's why we always insisted the pumpkin party was happening. Even if we only stacked up a hundred pumpkins in a pyramid of straw bales in the front yard.

I let a lot of things just slide this year, focused on making everything safe and providing space for the kids to do the pumpkins rather than obsessing over theme or how it looked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts