Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here who has made their own Halloween projection videos would be kind enough to share what programs work the best to make them, I have been researching on the internet and it is hard to determine which programs will work the best & will have the right tools for creating Halloween related effects/videos. So, I figured this would be the best place to ask, I would greatly appreciate some direction in which programs are the best for this task using my own recorded video files and adding effects to them, possibly creating ones with artwork too, another adventure I am adding to my haunting skills.
I am willing to look at all price ranges and green screen progams too.
:)

Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
For creating animations from scratch I like SwishMAX which is a program that makes Flash based SWF videos. Drawbacks are that animations can be pretty crude and cartoony-looking. Benefits are that you can directly extract to an AVI file which makes it easy. If you want to just edit your existing video with lots of effects try Adobe Premiere, After Effects or iMovie (if you're on a Mac). And if you haven't already, you definitely need to check out Hallowindow!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I too am looking to video my haunt this year and edit and add effects afterwards. Does anyone have any other suggestions besudes Adobe Premiere and After Effects? Is this relatively simple to do? Would anyone care to share links to videos they have done using these two products so we newbies can get ideas?
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've been messing around with VideoPad Video Editor and it seems to be working well. I'm definitely a novice at video editing, but it's a free download and also allows exports to .avi format.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help camsauce! I have started looking into those, and I love Hallowindow, I have some of his DVD's and a bunch of others, I want to make some custom ones for myself/our haunt and want to film some "characters" and "ghosts", then use a program to add effects to them to really transform them into such. A new skill I want to learn! =)

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Does anyone have any updates to add to this? Did you make any progress in your search for knowledge, and have you succeeded in creating your own videos? I would like to try my hand at this as I cannot find an already existing video to suit my needs. But I do not really know how to start. I would love to find a step by step tutorial.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
JustWhisper,

I made my own ghost maid projection last year (click HERE to see the thread) and can tell you that it's a bit of a process, depending on what kind of effect you want to create.

Mine was a ghost maid, which was part practical and part virtual. By this I mean that I used a person to be the maid and then used a program to make her into the ghostly figure. It took some time to do it, and I'm actually familiar with the programs.

What I did was I filmed our actor against green screen, then took that footage and removed the background. Once the green background was removed, I used After effects to color grade and add on the smoky ghost effects.

If you're unfamiliar with After Effects, this process will not be easy, not to mention terribly expensive. After Effects can be a challenging program to use, even when you know how to use it.

Thankfully there are a few decent tutorials on youtube explaining how to do some of these effects, so it's at least a starting point.

If your intention is to make something similar to Hallowindow, then I'd say stop right now unless you're an animator and are extremely familiar with after effects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts