Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I added a skeleton (full size) who is "walking" his three large spiders on a leash (I saw this on pinterest). Looks great during the day time. I used my "glowing" skeleton (from home depot) so at night I put a blue or UV spotlight on him and he shines a bright ghostly yellow. The problem is how to get the spiders to glow. They are 1) grey, 2) dark purple and 3) black with red stripes on the legs. Any lighting suggestions? Or has anyone used those "invisible" UV paints? I tried a regular fluorescing paint, but it completely changes the color of the spider and makes it less visible in the daytime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post a pic? Love this idea!
They are still in my garage so a picture would not do it justice, but will post one as soon as I get these set out, likely Monday (if the wind isn't blowing). We get really strong winds here in October so everything needs to be well anchored. I am making stands for the spiders to "hold them down" (keep from blowing) and "prop them up" (standing more upright on legs as opposed to flat on the ground) at the same time.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
If you can use a black light numerous detergeants and petroleum jelly will glow/fluoresce under a blackight. You could google ideas to make them glow under blacklight without changing the daylight colour.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,807 Posts
If you can use a black light numerous detergeants and petroleum jelly will glow/fluoresce under a blackight. You could google ideas to make them glow under blacklight without changing the daylight colour.
Most detergents no longer contain phosphor agents (removed starting in the late 1990s due to a law based on a flawed study that phosphates caused alge bloom in nature - bad stuff). So annoying as it was later proven it does not hurt environment but your clothes and dishes now are not as clean as they used to be, and oh yeah, can't use detergents to make things glow real well any more.

Tonic water glows under UV, but you'd need an actual black light out there as it won't just glow on its own.

The cheapest/easiest solution would be to get the glow in the dark hair spray right now. Next not as cheap but still decent to get things to GLOW would be mix up some RIT Whitener and Brightener in a spray bottle and use a black light which will make your actual GITD skelly look AMAZING by the way. (they do make LED ones that could work outside - see links below for ideas). May have to reapply if it rains, but it should coat the spiders and not change their daytime look (but may make them sticky until they dry).

·
Registered
208 Posts
One idea is if you could dust the spiders with glow in the dark powder, it might be faint enough to not impact the daytime look but still glow at night. You would probably have to work in sections but if you hit the spider with some clear spray paint you could lightly dust it with the powder. You will waste a lot of it, unfortunately.

I have used this one and really like how much it glows. But it is a pale yellow during the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One idea is if you could dust the spiders with glow in the dark powder, it might be faint enough to not impact the daytime look but still glow at night. You would probably have to work in sections but if you hit the spider with some clear spray paint you could lightly dust it with the powder. You will waste a lot of it, unfortunately.

I have used this one and really like how much it glows. But it is a pale yellow during the day.
Great suggestion, thanks. I will try this on a small part of the spider to see if it changes the color very much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most detergents no longer contain phosphor agents (removed starting in the late 1990s due to a law based on a flawed study that phosphates caused alge bloom in nature - bad stuff). So annoying as it was later proven it does not hurt environment but your clothes and dishes now are not as clean as they used to be, and oh yeah, can't use detergents to make things glow real well any more.

Tonic water glows under UV, but you'd need an actual black light out there as it won't just glow on its own.

The cheapest/easiest solution would be to get the glow in the dark hair spray right now. Next not as cheap but still decent to get things to GLOW would be mix up some RIT Whitener and Brightener in a spray bottle and use a black light which will make your actual GITD skelly look AMAZING by the way. (they do make LED ones that could work outside - see links below for ideas). May have to reapply if it rains, but it should coat the spiders and not change their daytime look (but may make them sticky until they dry).

I like the RIT idea as it is easiest to find (walmart I assume). We are expecting snow this week so I can test the durability of the application.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,807 Posts
But
I like the RIT idea as it is easiest to find (walmart I assume). We are expecting snow this week so I can test the durability of the application.
But it will require using an actual blacklight to make it work. RIT won't make things glow by itself. It has to have a blacklight to activate the phosphorescence.

The glow in the dark hairspray stuff should glow weakly just by being exposed to light through the day. Might be worth trying if you don't have or want to purchase.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
The Aldi store brand of laundry detergent glows a bright blue. Just tried it last week. I've never seen a blue looking detegent NOT glow in a blacklight. I've been using laundry detergent to make cheesecloth glow since about 2004. Maybe because I usually use cheap detergent like Purex or whatever the current store brand is. But I've seen tide glow too a couple years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts