Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all! So, I'll be ready soon to make a 2 part plaster mold from an oil clay bust I've been working on...but I'm kinda nervous about it, since I've never done it before. Anybody have any tips, advice, suggestions, experience they'd like to share?

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
I just finished one today. Take a look at http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/76862-3-axis-frankenstein-5.html
What kind of plaster were you thinking of? My understanding is that UltraCal-30 is much better for moldmaking than plaster of paris.
Take your time with the mold walls. Don't skimp on the clay there, an make sure it's firmly attached. I had a minor catastrophe when the mold wall split off from around the ear. It's nothing I can't fix, but it could have been easily avoided.
the first two layers should be applied carefully, and thinly, with a brush. Continually blow on the wet plaster to break any air bubbles.
Pick up Lee Baygan's Three Dimensional Makeup book. It has lots of good information on moldmaking. He doesn't do any two-parters, but it really helps to see step by step.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I would reccomend Mark Alfrey's Standard Molds and Castings dvd.

I ruined my first oil clay sculpt because i didnt quite know what i was doing.

His dvd is a bit pricy but gets into all the detail stuff. I will be molding a wed clay mask sculpt next week myself and it has aready helped me out with alot of things i wasnt aware of.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I too would like to know. For me, I need a plaster positive, so I can vacuum form later. So I'll need to make a mold in order to make a plaster positive out of it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips! I may have to invest in that dvd....I hate to part with $35, but I'd hate to ruin my sculpt even more.

Scourge, I'd like my final piece to be latex with a foam core.

·
Registered
76 Posts
" Thanks for the tips! I may have to invest in that dvd....I hate to part with $35, but I'd hate to ruin my sculpt even more. "

Thats just what happened to me. I was distraught for a year until i started to resculpt him. I have to say that the oil clay is much easier to work with than the wed but its so damn expensive especially when you do 70 pound sculpts.

Heres a link to a site with a clip from the dvd.

Mark Alfrey's Standard Molds and Castings - $35.95 : how2video.ca

I hpoe it goes well for ya. Post some pics for us when you finish it. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would hate to see you part with your $35 as well! There are TONS of informative sites all over the web that are free!

Here are a couple:
http://www.opusframing.com/library/pdf/2part_mold.pdf

Plaster Mold Making

Making A Plaster Mold

Moldmaking Demonstration

LagunaClay.com - How to... Make a plaster mold.

plaster mold making - Google Search

Youtube Videos

Plaster Mold Tutorial Part One:

Plaster Mold Tutorial Part Two:

Plaster Mold Tutorial Part Three:

I hope that helps! There are a lot more tutorials out there. Just do a google/youtube search for "2 part plaster mold".

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Killer! I had done some google searches, but didn't find anything as helpful as a couple of the ones you listed. I think I just may be able to pull this off without having to buy that dvd....but I will definitely be doing a test mold on a small and easy oil clay sculpt first. It can be the sacrificial lamb that helps me to figure out what to do differently. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts