Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised to a few of you guys, here's my how to on making a neck for a skull.

(Note : This how to was put together especially for those making the tombstone pop up in the prop building group)

You will need

Foam Pipe insulation
Cable ties
Acrylic paint (I used DecoArt Americana in Sand & Burnt Umber)
Sandpaper
Dowel or pipe

First cut a length of the pipe insulation (I used a 6 inch length)

Cut down the length of the insulation - then cut to size so that the insulation will loosely wrap around the dowel/pipe being used. (This will be dependant on whether you have the larger size lagging and the size of dowel/pipe being used) In this example I used 2" lagging and 5/8" dowel, so cut a 1" length off.

Next, fix the cable ties in place at equal intervals - I used a 1" space between each cable tie. Do not pull the cable ties too tight, just enough to secure the insulation to the dowel/pipe.

Once they are all in place, cut the excess from the cable tie. Then use a small piece of sandpaper (I wrapped a piece around a space length of dowel), and sand between the centre of each section.

Next paint the entire piece in the base color.

Once this is dry, use the brown paint to paint the lines between each section.

Allow this to dry then dry brush over the lines and between each section

This is how it hopefully will look with the skull

Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was thinking it was all tiewraps I didn't know you could sand that kinda foam.Kewl will be doing that.Just thought of using this in another prop too.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Great tip Herman. Simple, cheap and effective and definitley being added to the repertoire!
Thanks!

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
This looks like a perfect way to camouflage the pvc pipe I use as a base for my pirate skulls.
I agree, I use PVC pipe too. I wonder how it will look with a thicker pipe insulation though needed for the thicker-than-dowel PVC pipe?

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, I use PVC pipe too. I wonder how it will look with a thicker pipe insulation though needed for the thicker-than-dowel PVC pipe?
It should look fine, this is a pic of the spine I made for my scarecrow which is thicker than the dowel in diameter

As you can see I had to use 2 cable ties in the neck, being the thrifty person I am and not wanting to go buy larger ones :D

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You did a really good job on the chest and hips too. How did you do that?
The chest is part of a bleeding chest prop that I got from a thrift store a while back. The liquid inside had all dried out so I got it for 99c !

I separated the two parts giving me two rib cages, then cut out the excess between the ribs.

As for the pelvis. This was made with Chicken wire with paper mache covering. It took a while to make the shape, but the outcome was worth the hassle.

The final result of the scarecrow build can be seen in my album of props

1 - 20 of 20 Posts