Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1 of those cheap wire framed coffins at the Buy Costumes clearance sale. I was thinking of maybe standing it in a corner inside with the lid open to the side with a mummy inside. Have some extra GID skellys that I got on clearance at Grandin Road that I was thinking of wrapping. Was never a blucky fan so I don't have any of those. Does anyone know of any links or have any good suggestions as to how to do this? Not sure if I should use cheap gauze wrap or tear cheesecloth or what. Thinking maybe I'll have to tea stain the cloth or if anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would start by wrapping it in inexpensive sheets first and finish with cheesecloth or "mummy wrap" strips(a fabric I found at Joanne's fabrics around Halloween). Or another sheet that you tinted/stained cut or torn into strips. Maybe corpse it first by wrapping in plastic wrap to give it some "flesh" before the cloth wrap. I actually bought the mummy wrap right before Halloween on a 50 % off sale- to use to make a bride of frankenstein costume for 2014.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm a fan of the old fashioned way of using sheets. You might find some at the second hand shops to stain and cut/rip into strips - however, I must note that it seems to be harder and harder to find white sheets. Another source would be hotels. They go through a goodly amount of linen on a regular basis. I have a composter that I use just for aging fabrics. My wife wants a bigger one so we can actually use it for what it's intended for, lol.
I "corpse" the skelly too with Great Stuff to give it some bulk, then I use spray adhesive to help hold the strips in place. It's pretty much a personal thing how you want your mummy to look. There are no bad ways to do it, and darkness is your best friend. Have fun
HM

·
Registered
394 Posts
There's a good tutorial for this in the "How to Haunt Your House" books - I think book one. They suggest creating a duct tape dummy for the body, and just using a corpsed skull for the head, which will save a bit of money vs using a whole bucky/blucky, since most of it ends up under wrap anyways. If I remember correctly they use muslin as a base with cheesecloth layers on top. And they do stain the fabrics with tea and so on also. I've been meaning to make one myself, just haven't got around to it. Anyway, if you don't already own the books, this could be a good excuse to pick them up, they're wonderful sources of inspiration.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The nice thing is there are lots of examples here on the forums of how people made various types of mummies, so the hard part is picking what kind of mummy you want. Do you want one that looks like an ancient Egyptian mummy (with an organized wrapping style and bound legs) or more old horror-movie-ish (ramshackle wrappings and individual legs)? Do you need it to be light or sturdy or animated, etc? Lots of different directions you can go to match the rest of your haunt.

Here is a step by step of how I made a light and inexpensive mummy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts