Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a fence that I've adapted for in front of my graveyard. It's naturally weathered and looks perfect and covers the entire 40 foot front of the area. It has a small gate that I want to insert in the middle and use a wiper motor to open and close the gate, obviously with the gate squeaking as it moves. I pulled the pins out of the hinges and cleaned them out, there is no lubrication whatsoever and while it makes some noise, it isn't consistent and certainly isn't the kind of sound I was looking for. Rather than going the whole electronics route and trying to time the sound to the motion, does anyone have any tricks for making a gate hinge squeak reliably?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
You can mix a little table salt in white vinegar, use a few drops on the hinges to get a little rust going. Use it sparingly though, too much may lock up the hinges.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Get a piece of electrical PVC conduit. The gray stuff with the flared end. Take a small piece and insert it in the flared end. Figure out how to mount them so they turn in each other. It creates a really nice squeaking hinge sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts