Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so this may be very, very basic stuff for a lot of you but it may help some that are just getting into motorized props. Here is a video of how I prep an old laptop power supply to use for a wiper motor. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use all kinds of power supplies too. From phone chargers to laptops. Quick tip for you, which you may already know. Try to keep a habit of putting the female connector (or male, your choice) on the positve side and the opposing one on the negative. This will make it so it can only be plugged in one way. The right way. I know motors can run in reverse by reversing polarity, but there are times when you want it only spinning a certain way (pumps come to mind). Just a little tip.

·
Registered
257 Posts
*Might* want to at least mention to the novices out there that tossing the PWM board and voltmeter probes around by hand while the power is hot could result in inadvertent smoke and electrical shock. ;) A case is always a good idea when using such a controller/board. --the voice of experience

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:D I watched the video and found it very informative. Thanks for posting it. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
You guys ever use battery chargers? Is there any danger in it?
Depending on what type of battery charging your talking on if they even put out enough amps to work for more than a led or two. it all comes down the volts and amps. If your charger puts out to low of amps for what your trying to power, it can either not work at all, or overheat the charger causing potential issues.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm talking about a car battery charger with the selector switch 2a 4a and 10a
Depending on the car charger type, it may work. Some newer "smart" Chargers will fault out if it doesn't detect the right amount of cells. There are 6 cells in a car battery, older non smart chargers are fine though. All I can say is try yours to see if it will power your device. To use my smart charger, I hook it up to a car battery then run my items off of the battery in parralel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts