Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you perfer?

Hi everyone first post!

I've never dressed up for Holloween, except when I was younger. I was thinking about getting a pretty good mask and dressing around it. Then I thought about make-up. It would take a little more work but with a little help from the Internet, I think I could pull it off. My first idea was being a zombie or scary clown, but I haven't made up my mind yet. So what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personally hate mask, they are hot and you can never see out of them, so I do makeup. However, my husband likes to sit with the other dummies we have outside and blend in and so he always opts for a mask so that we can look like our props. It is a personal choice and I see pros and cons of both.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The best part about a mask is that it allows you anonymity to be able to stuff that you would normally be embarrassed about (like doing a scary voice etc). But I agree that they are all uncomfortable. I like the moving mouth masks -- Zagone makes a lot of those.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I love makeup. If I could have pursued any other career, it would have been a makeup artist. So for me, the fun of creating something for myself is much better than any mask. However, this is my opinion for me. If you've got a lot to do on the day of, a mask would be a time saver. Just make sure it's not too uncomfortable, or else you'll end up taking it off and then there's no point. Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
PREFER? Oh, makeup all day long. I'm claustrophobic, and can get a panic attack in a mask if I'm not concentrating. Plus, I started doing appliance makeup at age 9.

Which is why I wear masks. It's no fair that the trick or treaters are the only ones terrified on Halloween night. Last years mask was a real trial. Hand made, in such a way I couldn't rip it quickly if I had a problem. I managed to hold it together the whole night after an initial panic right after getting it on.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
We rely heavily on masks for our actors, and as stated, they can be used on static props at another time.. If you buy carefully, you can find nice comfortable masks that you can see/breathe out of easily. As Graveyard Gus said, Zagone studios makes an excellent comfortable mask

·
Registered
536 Posts
Makeup allows you more freedom and air, but masks take less time and come off easily.
If you mess up the makeup, it'd take a while to fix and there's also the possibility of it staining your face, but with a mask your face gets hot, your vision is partially obstructed, and you risk the mask being uncomfortable.

It's really whatever your prefer and what you think your skill level is. Happy haunting!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,116 Posts
Depends where you live. We would suffocate with masks down here.

We rely heavily on masks for our actors, and as stated, they can be used on static props at another time.. If you buy carefully, you can find nice comfortable masks that you can see/breathe out of easily. As Graveyard Gus said, Zagone studios makes an excellent comfortable mask

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm going to wear a mask this year, but it will be on the back of my head as I am going as "Backward Man". I'm open to either though, I had to darken my entire face one year to be a Rasta, but as uncomfortable as some masks can be, they're easier to deal with overall.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
It depends on what you're doing.

If I'm just going for a "boo" scare I'll do masks. I can change them thru the night & I don't have to leave them on. They're hot too hot & stinky to leave on for any length of time. If I'm going out it's makeup. But as a woman who wears makeup I'm sorta used to it so I don't worry about the whole face touching thing.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Honestly?

Get a nice mask this year, and start putting together some make-up basics.

Here's why - getting a result you like with make-up, and learning how to function in the stuff, is always best before the big night. With a mask, you have a dependable back-up plan.

Purchase things like color wheels and foundation powder (I think Ben Nye is the best on the market for both, period). Play with the make-up. Learn to use brushes, stipple sponges and such.
Practice application, layers and blending.
Then you can move onto prosaide paints that give opaque color and don't come off with sweat and such.
You can experiment with latex prosthetics, (especially foam latex, the best), make sure you learn your allergies, figure out a favorite adhesive, like Prosaide, play with textures like toilet paper, oatmeal, etc.

Take your time getting into make-up. Really get to know the stuff.
Eventually, you'll learn where both masks and make-up fit in your particular habits.

And above all, try to avoid grease paints. I'd hate for you to think that all make-up is like wearing colored butter all the time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I like masks for the props and make-up for the live haunters. Masks are hot and uncomfortable. The haunters invariably take them off for a breather and that ruins the whole effect!

On a related topic, I also prefer wigs for the props and styling our own hair for live haunting. Same reason. Although I have worn wigs when my own hair won't work for the character.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts