Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm getting into high gear on my mad scientist's lab scene I figured it was time to start a new thread to show the parts and build. So, here we go!

I've been collecting all sorts of goodies to use for the main 8x4' sheet metal faced evil control panel...

Old 40's rusty junction box (salvaged from an old industrial site)...

Green and red panel indicator lights (from the same site)...

Basket lights that I'm going to use with very dim clear bulbs (also from the same site)...

I also raided some surplus stores and my own garage for more goodies. I had two of these panels sitting around the house and got the bottom one for $2. I need to rough them up a bit still. The one with all the LEDs will have a flasher circuit installed so they all blink...

I picked up some x-ray machine knobs today that I'm going to pair one to one with the panel lights...

I picked up all this lab glassware today for $25. It'll go on a table in front of the control panel. I'm going to get blacklight reactive dye so they all glow and maybe toss some dry ice chunks in a few so they bubble and smoke...

I'll also be adding some misc. meters and switch panels as well as some plasma pieces. I have all the wood for the backboard plus paint and should be able to build it next week. Then I'm going to have some rusty sheet metal punched out by a friend who runs a sheet metal shop and I'll use that to skin the backboard.

Last but not least, I'm picking this gem up tomorrow. It's perfect and even folds for storage...

More to follow!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow there is some good prop materials there! I have the vapor tight cage lights for my Mad Lab setup but with red lightbulbs...

I am curious on the panel indicator lights though! Where'd you get them? Are they 110? I can't seem to find anything like that on the web or eBay...

Oh, and the x-ray knobs - were those an eBay purchase? I could use one of them on my Jacob's Ladder... I think that will finish the effect I am after.

What are you going to do with the electric panel? Put a big "Frankenstein" switch on the front? :)

Very cool stuff!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
oh wow! That must have been some building... the rusty control panel looks art deco style so that would put it at the 1930s-40s era.

This is going to look seriously awesome! Can't wait to see the progress pics, but just from what you've assembled, this is amazing stuff.:cool:

I have a small suggestion which you've probably already thought about in regards to bubbling liquids: what about a fish tank aerator? You could run a small clear tube into one of the beakers and it would look like it was boiling away... :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
This stuff is Unreal. I used to do a Mad Scientist's Lab exhibit at our haunt, so I can relate to how hard it is to come up with stuff like Scientific Glassware. Good Job! But, Hey... Let's get down to brass tacks. No Mad Scientist Lab is complete without a Jacob's Ladder or two. Whatcha got?

·
Registered
207 Posts
This stuff is Unreal. I used to do a Mad Scientist's Lab exhibit at our haunt, so I can relate to how hard it is to come up with stuff like Scientific Glassware. Good Job! But, Hey... Let's get down to brass tacks. No Mad Scientist Lab is complete without a Jacob's Ladder or two. Whatcha got?
Haha I was thinking the same thing. Looks like he is building one, but has another post for it. I just posted my Jacob's ladder from my mad scientist lab there.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments. Drsprite, the panel indicator lights are from the same industrial site as the junction box and basket lights. They were 120v but I modified them to use on 12v. They're from the 40's like the junction box. The x-ray knobs came from a local surplus shop called Industrial Liquidators. I bet they'd ship some to you. They had a lot of them in three different dial colors and a few different marking patterns. I'm going to use very dim clear bulbs in four fixtures (without glass) that go across the ceiling and one more with the glass and a dim red bulb mounted to the panel above the junction box. It should look great.

The Jacob's Ladder is well underway. I have all the parts now and just need to build the enclosure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
very cool stuff! I'm trying to find panel indicator lights like the ones you have.. and I can't seem to find any knobs like that either! I think those knobs will be great with the jacobs ladder I have, and could be used on the panel i want to build with the knife switch

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but that Radio Shack knob is $2.99. I paid that for all six complete knobs. The big question is if Industrial Liquidators will ship them.

I guess I must have missed something on this thread. Sorry I was trying to offer a possible local source to Drsprite in case he couldn't get what he wanted there or the shipping was considerably more than the parts which sometimes happens. The Shack also has some in blue or red that were smaller and cheaper and could be painted silver if that's what mattered. Depending on how many knobs one needs, personally I don't consider going to the local Radio Shack and spending $3 a big deal, plus I don't have to wait for the mail for it to arrive. My time is worth something too and I don't always have the time to search used part places to scavenger.

BTW I love what you did last year with Dead End Manor (great name for your haunt). Nice use of color lighting and some cool props there too. The lab should be a bit hit. Seeing your parts so far it will have a real air of authenticity.

·
Registered
207 Posts
All great ideas! Thanks for all the links! :) I'm excited to get started again building new props for this year's haunt

1 - 20 of 60 Posts