Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Its me Spookie!

I just got notice that I get to stay teaching Fifth grade for the 3rd year in a row and I have been assigned Science and Math!! Whoot Whoot!! So I immediately decided that I need to have some sort of Mad Scientist theme in my room.

Here is where I am calling on the experts for help! Ive never done a Mad scientist theme for a halloween party but I know some of you have. I would love it if you could post pics or send ideas here on what I could do for my classroom.

I need to have a lab corner and would like to be able to decorate the entire area like a mad scientist lab. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also for the first time I am in need of Mr, Shivers the mad scientist!! I would love to have in in the lab corner of my class for the kids I think they would love it. If anyone here is selling one at a teachers price please pm me or if you know of anyone on here selling one! I am determined now more than ever to get one!

So Halloween experts please feel free to comment on any ideas or pics that you think I could use or modify to help me decorate my fifth grade room this year! I am super excited to be able to stay in fifth.

Side note...a few of my kids got perfect scores on their Math and science FCAT!!! So proud of my guys they rocked it out!

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
[My mother in law taught 5th grade, here's the laboratory I set up for her:

(I wrote the basic premise when I was 8, as my first 'haunt'...it sucked sooo bad, it was awesome to do it up better. We only had 1 hour to set up each year, so not the best decor, all plug and play)

My son's been doing all sorts of blacklight stuff for his science projects the last few years. What glows under blacklight? This last year, he did what color of light charges glow in the dark items best? He's gotten a lot of attention from the other kid's doing the typical which popcorn pops best stuff.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Spookylicious can you paint on the walls? I used to have a big mural scene painted on my wall and know others who still do this to set a scene or feeling. Could have a wild mad scientist type thing of just a big blackboard looking image with things. Or even one huge old entertainment center set up like a lab area.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Forgive me if I'm overcomplicating the simple: are you doing a mad scientist themed classroom that will be up all year, or will you be decking out the classroom as part of a haunted school walkthrough, or ...?

Will you be permitted to use classroom objects as part of your display? I feel like beakers, flasks, Bunsen burners, etc. are essential for a typical mad lab (unless it's something narrowly focused like a mad botanist or somesuch).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Filling beakers and test tubes with colored water is a quick and easy effect, but using flat tonic water and putting it all under a blacklight will look even better! Creatures in jars, plasma balls, and warning signs are also great touches. I also suggest lying down a Frankenstein's monster dummy on a table if you have enough room.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh these are amazing ideas! Thank you so so much!!! Printersdevil I can not paint on the wall but I can do whatever I want with bulletin board paper and such and can make any scene and thank you for the link! Blue Frog i will be teaching Science and Math only ALL year. We are departmentalizing and I think its going to allow us all to really focus on the subject assigned. Atomic Mystery Monster I will Definitely will be using the colored water idea I think those in a shelving unit of some sort would really help the feel and I wanted a black light area and completely forgot about the tonic water and how it works with black light. Any other black light ideas??? Would love to hear. Unorthodox great video, could use that during October for sure :) Mamadada what exactly is weird science? Would love to hear more about that! Thank you all and please keep the ideas coming. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you have any glassware you're okay with possibly staining, water with some UV reactive paint mixed in or that has had cheap highlighters soaking in it) can also be used to create glowing chemicals.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't know if this will help but if you are unable to do the mural directly on the wall (as suggested by Printersdevil), one of the tricks used by teachers at my previous elementary school (where I learned, never really got the privilege of actually teaching, so I'm going waaaaaaaaaaaaay back into the dark recesses of my brain which are dusty and littered with cobwebs. LOL) was to use a very large piece of paper taped to the walls, where either they or the students could make a mural.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So. . . yeah. . . read further down the thread, and you had already posted about using the bulletin board paper. . . Me oh my, feeling like quite the silly sod now. Lol. Please disregard the above comment. . . :eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/scary-science-25-creepy-experiments#cart/cleanup

This is a cool book my daughter gave me. It has lots of kid friendly experiments in it.

Depending on your budget, consider the following:
A Bucky skeleton (4th grade quality -- cheaper, but has all the bones). This would be educational and fun. You could dress him up and give him a name.
At the beginning of the year, you could hand out safety goggles to everyone (personalized with their name)

http://www.pinterest.com/kraegm/mad-lab/
Pinterest is great for visuals

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oooooooh I just came on here and saw all the great ideas added! You guys ROCK! Thank you so much!! Love the elephant toothpase idea and colored water with highlighters!
JETSKIJIGSAW LOL no worries! Also love the link Mystic Manor! I hope more ideas keep coming I now have a running binder with all the ideas and links! You guys are awesome!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Love the highlighter idea!!!! Im totally doing this and plastic milk containers make it safer for the classroom :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts