Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chaviet FX-800 which according to the box is 700 watts. Last year was the first year with a chiller and it worked well it just took to long to warm up between cycles. Party City has a 1000 watt, unknown brand, for $60 that I am considering. Box says it warms up in 5min.
So I guess my question is this. Anyone have experiance with this machine or know whos making it for them?
Is it worth the $60 to upgrade from a 700 to 1000 watt unit? I mean will the cycle time be dramatically shorter?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I bought the 1000 watt fogger from Party City but, still haven't tested it out yet.
Amscan makes the unit & only sells them through retail stores. Was disappointed that it came with a push button pulse wired remote vs a timer/delay remote. The higher the wattage fogger the less reheating cycle it has. Most foggers initially take 5 minutes to heat up. The price ranges for retail foggers: $20-25 400 watt, $40-45 700 watt, $70-75 1000 watt. The DJ or Pro foggers run $150+ or more.

I have noticed a trend the most retail stores only carry the cheaper 400 watt foggers. It's the party stores or temp Halloween stores that carry the higher watt models.

Update-
Called Amscan with questions about the fogger.
No, they don't make a Timer/Delay remote for their units. Yes, it's ok to use another mfg's. Timer/Delay remote. And it won't damage it or void the warranty.

I bought a Timer/Delay remote from Menards today. Plugged it into the unit & got a better performance of fog out of the machine. Quite an improvement over the push button remote it came with. It initially took 5 minutes to warm up the machine, like stated. Very little recovery time between bursts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you get to try it let me know your thoughts.
I noticed they sell the timer remote seperate for another $20.
Looks like the exact same one I have so I could use that.
Be interested in hearing how long it takes to warm up between cycles. Thats what I am really trying to shrink.

·
Creepy Clown Is Redundant
642 Posts
I have both a Chauvet 1300 and a Party City 1000. The main difference is the PC machine puts out a lite fog at a med pace while the Chauvet puts out a much thicker fog at a rapid pace. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it will still be an upgrade from what I have.
Thanks all. Didnt want to get it to only find out its junk.

·
Registered
141 Posts
according to my mother, the higher the wattage the better. I dont know if this is true but its what she tells me :) (which is why I just bought an 800w ProSound GT-800 rather than a 400w)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only fogger in my inventory that works outside is my Jem ZR-33. It is a true continuous fogger. Even then, anything more than a very light breeze kills the effects. I tried a v-940 pro outdoors with dismal results. If the air is still it will work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the 1000w fogger from Party City and am happy with the results. Like Sychoclown said, it throws out lighter fog than the Chauvet but it is perfect for my graveyard, I tend to like the lighter fog over the heavy, gives a more realistic sense of atmosphere. Now I have 4 400w machines, 2 700w machines and 2 1000w machines, looks like my house is on fire!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use mine outdoors in the yard. Grave yard just for affect. I built a small chiller out of an ice chest. In Phoenix even around halloween nights are cool but not cold so the chiller works really well even though its not large. The problem is the 700 watt unit just takes so long between cycles the affect is lost. Thats why I was leaning towards this 1000 watt unit. Figure I can use the smaller one in the yard for more affect.

·
Registered
438 Posts
From what I've read about the fog machines that come with timers.. if you can put out enough fog at about 30 to 40% capacity, you'll keep a pretty solid continuous flow of fog, or minimal reheat cycles between. I had a Chauvet 1250 last year, returned it because even at 1/2 the recycle took about 5 mins before it would kick on again. It was way too long and the fog would disappear.

I would love to see if Froggy's fog juice really lasts up to 1 hour before disappearing... I tried their original swamp juice a few years ago, it wasn't bad. I've got some other stuff from last year that I need to burn through this year, almost 2 gallons of it, so I wont be able to try Froggy's till next year or year after.

Also, a note to those that don't know.. make sure you wet your grass down before you use your fogger. The wetness helps keep the fog hovering over the grass better.. probably keeps it cooler longer or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2 London foggers from cheaplights.com. They were pricey. $250 each. They WHITE OUT my street. The cars have to stop because the visibility is zero with both going. They run for 2.5 minutes before auto shut down. They are really well made. I burned out 6 other fog machines. I love the fact that they came with a wireless style car remote to activate them as well as a programable interface.
I just got 8 gallons of fog juice delivered today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts