Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

I would like to switch to Mac but have never used one before. I haven't been able to find much information about them.

I've learned that you can run windows programs on a Mac. All I've been able to find out is you need a windows disc. Does this mean the operating system ( i have) or just the program disc?

How well do they run?

For those who switched was it an easy one?

Is there a place on the net I can go to find out about Mac programs? I've been to the official Imac store and it reads like a Norwegian menu. No explanations or descriptions of the software. I'd have no idea what I'd be ordering.

After a few months of complete frustration I took an ax to my Vista system. Pics at

My new computer. I voided it's warrantee. - Christmas Fan Club

I'm in real need of a new computer and refuse to go back to microsoft.
Thanks!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
First off, Putrid, I'd like to say...you're my hero!
(only thing I would've recommended before getting rid of everything: take the hard drive apart, and there's a couple of horribly strong rare earth magnets inside which make it operate - if you ever need a fridge magnet that will hold up a small dog, those are the ones)

Next, the software which allows Apple computers to run Windows is called Boot Camp, and it comes pre-installed in every Apple computer now.
You WILL need a copy of Windows, however (full version), if you want to use it - what you do is launch Boot Camp, and then install Windows. You'll then have a choice which operating system to use when you boot up the computer. Shouldn't be too much trouble. (I'll admit, I've never used it, but that's due my utter disgust with Windows - I'll use it only if forced to for work purposes)

I'm not certain what kind of applications you may need to run, but if you're looking for a simple, highly useful, complete system, I'd recommend an iMac...the one I have takes care of pretty much anything I want to do.
If you haven't done so already, go to apple.com (the Apple Store) and check out what they have to offer - keep in mind, they have discount programs for teachers and students too, so scour the site.

I've been using Mac's for years, and quite honestly, I've lost my edge at computer troubleshoooting due to never having to troubleshoot any more (I used to be pretty damn good, when I had to fix Windows problems on a daily basis to keep my computer running).
Seriously - the only times I've thought I had a computer problem in the last 4-5 years was with my internet connection, and each time that's happened, it turns out it was my internet provider, not my computer.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ugly Joe. Looks like I'll be an iMac user after all! I never learned how to fix windows. More like 'going around' the problem to make the program work. LOL
Just for fun I'll list some of the things I've put up with for the last two months.
There were times I would have to turn the computer off, physically unplug it. Wait a few minuets. Plug it back in so it would find it's modem.
Would delete things as I tried to print them.
Would only save web site pages in dos.
No office software worked. Wouldn't let me create or change a data base. Math in a spread sheet was nearly impossible to do.
Lost a CD I ripped to it. Had no idea where that one ended up.
Photos would go where it wanted them to go. No matter what I typed in. It refused to use the Vista software that came with my new camera.
I could burn as many CDs as I wanted. As long as I didn't want to listen to them. Would only play the first 3 or 4 songs then stop.
Some times it would refused to save changes I'd make to pages, spreadsheets and and the like.
and the list goes on and on and ......LOL

I had brought it back several times to get fixed just to be told there's nothing wrong with it.
I'm guessing Vista is supposed to to that. LOL
I can honestly say that was the first time I was ever able to add hardware to a computer all by myself. Nothing harder than tempered steal. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help for a former Mocrosoft user -- and boy -- are you in luck.

If you are commuting distance of an Apple Store, you are in luck -- they are very very helpful in getting you started -- usually totally free. I converted from a long time use of a PC when my son bought me a 24" iMac for my birthday. It's a wonderful system, and brought fun back into my computing life. I know it is hard learning the differences, and it will take time -- but it's always fun, and really worthwhile, and very much worth the effort. I ended up buying a bunch of books on the various software packages from Amazon.com and it provided the main help I needed. I wanted to have all possible software on my system that I could possibly use. Primarily I want to have all my photographs on it using iPhoto, all my music on it using iTunes, all my Video and DVDs on using iMovie, and lots of other things. For example the address book is great. The browser -- Safari -- is the bests I have ever used, much better than Firefox or any others which really grew out of PC bowsers. My iMac has a built in video camera and microphone, and I have done video conferencing with my son and others, and it is just like being in the same room with them. The 24" monitor on my iMac is the best monitor bar none that I have ever seen on any computer. I also added a 19" second monitor, since I'm not using any of my old PCs anymore.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Solid point on the 2nd monitor, cfw!

Mac video cards are built to handle an extra monitor without having to go out an buy an upgrade...and the adapter for a regular VGA monitor connector to an iMac is about $15 (I don't know about the adapter for other Mac's...like the Powerbook or others).

Putrid, just remember that if you do decide to install Windows (using Boot Camp) on your Mac, you will ABSOLUTELY want to make certain you load it up with anti-virus software (and anti-spyware, anti-all-that-other-crap-that-Windows-can't-stop-ware, etc).
Since Apple is now using Intel hardware, if it's using Windows software, it's subject to all the problems that typical Windows users are subject to.

...which is why I haven't loaded Windows on my Mac...I keep a PC around that I regularly re-format a couple times of year just to make sure it's usable.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
908 Posts
I got my first Mac in 1988. It was the first color Mac, called a MacII. I think I paid about $6,000 for it with all of the other stuff I got. I have had Mac's ever since.

I have used both Macs and Winders for many years. The Mac I'm typing this on is a little over 2 years old and I've never had any problems with it. I use boot camp to run windows. The creative stuff I do, video, audio, photo editing and etc. I do on the Mac. My PC I use to play games and to run our VSA and Exorcist software for our haunt stuff.

There's a funny youtube video by David Pogue about Vista copying Mac. Look it up sometime, it's good for a laugh.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. This is the help I need. Ya'll are great!
The only reason I want to use XP on it is for my business software. I was supposed to run on both XP and Vista. ( I'm laughing here. It's been a rough ride). I've got Avast for anti virus and spy so I'll dump that in as well. Plan on using the Xp side for work and the iMac side for the web, photos, music and the like.
I plan on spending some more time on the iMac site to learn more about moving files from one to the other and the like. Hopefully they have a section on getting used to iMac after years of windows.
After everything I've been threw in the last few months I feel like I'm finally putting a seat on the bicycle I've been riding.. LOL

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hey there!

We switched from PC to MAC 2 months ago, and all I can say is that we're loving it! Best move we've ever made! :) As CFW123 wrote, if you happen to live near and Apple Store, they will throw in a free +/- 2 hour "welcome to MAC" program. MAC are so easy to use, my hubby didn't even believe it when it took me only 10 minutes to get it running when we came back from the store!

I installed NeoOffice (free or voluntary donation download) so I can work on all my Microsoft Office files from home. Just need to remember to save them in Word, Excel, etc. format, and adapt to minor changes, but besides that, it's great!

Won't go back to PC... ever! ;)

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
908 Posts
In the early days of Macs the big slap on them was that they were good for games, but you needed a PC to get work done. My Mac does most of my creative stuff and my PC....games!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts