Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have 4. They are pricey but the effect so far, is way better than all the copy cats. I have had to return several after trying to go a cheaper route. Can't wait till there is a great knock off that's affordable.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,943 Posts
QVC sells them so check their site, they may be a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
I don't have the original brand, but bought another brand I found in Tuesday Morning a few months ago. In general I find the moving flame is a nicer effect compared to the "flickering" LED for something that is closer in view.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Icemanfred, you should see if you can find a thread started around xmas time or first of the year on this subject by Mikeerdas. He was checking them out and comparing them to other similar ones out there.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We have a few as well, they look more authentic than the flicker LED candles, but they are pricey. We got ours on sale a couple of years ago, we haven't purchased any more since. I would love to buy a bunch of the tea lights because they look so real.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
That old saying "You get what you pay for" definitely applies here. They are without a doubt the most realistic non-flame candle out there. Even when you know it's fake, it still looks real, even up close.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Except when viewed from the side when the "flame" is a thin piece of plastic.
I agree it doesn't look quite as realistic from the side but still not bad. The "flame" does rotate back and forth occasionally. Typically we set ours in a place where they are mostly viewed from the front.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would but they are a little too pricey! I used some small votive LED "flicker" candles last year on this old wooden playground stepsI had lying around in my backyard! The steps looked great last Halloween, but might dish out the $$$ to get maybe 1-3 Luminara candles to mix in. (PS: The wooden stairway isn't located right near the walkway)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Don't buy Big Lots. I bought two ten packs for ten bucks each. The light was not bright enough. I used them in glass containers next to tombstones. You could not tell they were on. Please keep us informed as to where some can be found. I want to use them because the effect next to the stone only enhances the cemetery. The only other thing I could think of would be tea-lights but even then I don't know if they would be bright enough.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Icemanfred, you should see if you can find a thread started around xmas time or first of the year on this subject by Mikeerdas. He was checking them out and comparing them to other similar ones out there.
Here's the thread. Or at least one of them. For my tastes, Luminara is worth the money. And aside from the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupons, QVC probably does sell the least expensive Luminara candles.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/140229-electric-candles-used-disney-universal-simulate-real-flame-moving-part-4.html

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
well, I found this site that sells the tapered candles without the big bulky base.
But at $20 I wonder what brand they are. and how good they look.

http://www.batteryoperatedcandles.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY2&Category_Code=dancing-flame-candles&Offset=50&CatListingOffset=50&Store_Code=BOC

Thanks for the link, it's nice they do some volume discounting.

I'm looking for "non-waxed" tapers to complete the look of the candelabra I just bought from HG. That version seems to have been dropped in favor of now everything being wax dipped by both manufacturers. The site above carries brands from both manufacturers from what I can tell. I know Liown uses "moving flame" in their descriptions as it's on the packaging I have and on their website (thinking on their patent as well). Mystique is one of their brands as well. I bought my illuminaires tapers back in November from Tuesday Morning for 16.99 each. My tapers are just that, tapers without any supporting stand or such. The TM pricing label showed them at $30 retail which sounds about right for these type. The pillars were more I think and I knew that TM's price was a great deal so went to 3 TM stores to find as many as I could afford at the time...always tough at xmas time. $3 more isn't a big jump from TM's pricing. Wish they weren't dipped or I'd buy them.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the link, it's nice they do some volume discounting.

I'm looking for "non-waxed" tapers to complete the look of the candelabra I just bought from HG. That version seems to have been dropped in favor of now everything being wax dipped by both manufacturers. The site above carries brands from both manufacturers from what I can tell. I know Liown uses "moving flame" in their descriptions as it's on the packaging I have and on their website (thinking on their patent as well). Mystique is one of their brands as well. I bought my illuminaires tapers back in November from Tuesday Morning for 16.99 each. My tapers are just that, tapers without any supporting stand or such. The TM pricing label showed them at $30 retail which sounds about right for these type. The pillars were more I think and I knew that TM's price was a great deal so went to 3 TM stores to find as many as I could afford at the time...always tough at xmas time. $3 more isn't a big jump from TM's pricing. Wish they weren't dipped or I'd buy them.
Do you have any video of the tapered candles?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts