Halloween Forum banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I was looking at this on the Home Depot site, and it's listed as being made out of polymer. Could you tell me if it's more of a plastic polymer or a clay/resin one?
The bust feels like resin to me (and breaks the same way, as evidenced by the first's destroyed base:rolleyes:).

·
Registered
383 Posts
My Home Depot was a real let down this year. I was just in there tonight and they already replaced all their Halloween stuff with Christmas merchandise! The whole seasonal area of the store is actually flooded with Christmas decorations! They took what scant decorations they had for Halloween, which wasn't much because they didn't even have much at all even a few weeks ago, and moved it into a little clearance area they keep for patio and outdoor furniture. Actually, some of that stuff was even mixed in with it. It was just a few bags of spider webs, a few shelf display boxes of little pumpkin lanterns and other miscellaneous, and a few boxed up blow up displays.

Afterward, I went into the Hallmark store which was a further disappointment. They only had a tiny Halloween display! The rest of the seasonal area was flooded with Christmas merchandise.

It is curious how I keep reading about how the Halloween Industry brings in over eight billion dollars annually, yet the brick and mortar stores don't seem to recognize those figures. Is it all online sales now?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,144 Posts
My Home Depot has all of their Christmas stuff out & there's plenty of lighting options out there now that could be useful for us haunters. They now have strings of gutter lights that are like mini fire & ice lights.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/projection%20string%20lights?NCNI-5

I can deal with the lighting being out but the trees, oh the trees. They set them up & they don't "fluff" them. It's like they literally open the box, put the tree together, plug 'em in & put it on the shelf. They don't pull out the individual branches, move them around to make them look good, they just put them together & plug them in. You can't tell what the tree will really look like if it's not "fluffed" properly.

A LOT of stores do that too & it makes me crazy. I wanna spend hours just "fluffing" the trees to make them look good.

They also had zero Halloween things on sale. If you're gonna move in Christmas this early at least give me a break on Halloween.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I hear you, RCIAG! With all the branch arranging that has to happen, it takes me two days to put up the tree.

The mini F&I projection lights look like they have a lot of potential! I might have to finally break down and make a trip to Home Depot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just picked up 2 LED spot bulbs at Menards $15 each. 9 Watt 9 LED Green and Blue. They are in Christmas lighting and made by Polaroid.

Just 2 of these replaced 4 100w spots, very happy with them.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,144 Posts
I love the options that LEDs are giving us now. There was even a light set-up that you can control with your phone. Now I don't know if I'd need that either now or at Christmas but it's a pretty cool option.

I know they cost more but I won't buy any regular lights any more, especially for Halloween & Christmas decor. I finally replaced all of my regular mini lights with LEDs for the Christmas tree & it was the best thing I ever did. As the old lights died, I replaced the strings with an LED string.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Home Depot's got their Christmas section already up in my neck of the woods, and Halloween is already being phased out...but on the plus side, there are some nice led candles with timers as well as some additional variants of the fire & ice spotlights available now. I picked up some candles and two of the blue spotlights yesterday. $7 for a 2-pack of candles and $20 per spotlight.

The candles have a nice orange glow. These spotlights have much larger "light covers" than the usual fire & ice spotlights (I bought a red one last year right before Halloween, and it was one of the old-style lights), and the throw distance is HUGE. Here's a link to the blue version....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LightSho...-Kaleidoscope-Spotlight-Stake-88619/205081143

I put one of these in the yard to uplight a tree and highlight a ghoul hanging from one of the branches, and the light goes through the tree and onto my house behind it, and also onto the tree next to it.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I was at Lowes yesterday looking for spotlights. Hardly any halloween left BTW. Like what you guys have said, only saw Kaleidoscopes and Fire and Ice, and those were in the xmas aisle. Last year they carried the multicolored fire and ice, which I didn't buy and thought I'd go back for this year but not there! I'm not a fan of the Kaleidscope version (If anyone sees the fire and ice version, multicolored, I'd love to know where you see them).

I then went to Home Depot and saw these on the shelf in the xmas aisle. So if you are looking for them, here's what HD's packaging looks like:

This location has their multi aisle xmas stuff set up. Surprisingly they still had a decent amount of halloween left.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks GoS, I'll keep an eye out. Looking up any of those SKUs on Home Depot's website just says that they're out of stock online, with no store stock status. Must be too early.

The Halloween section at the HD that I usually go to is pretty barren...mainly a lot of the bigger stuff is all that's left (tombstones, those giant skulls, the gargoyle statues, etc.).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The outdoor resin/plaster mummy coffin ground breaker has been reduced to $41.98 from $58. Very solid and large. I purchased one today for the cemetery. It has LED eyes and limited sound, but I am not counting on it to be activated so far away from the action. To me, it is worth the money just as a large static weather resistant prop.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Col. Fryght, nice purchase. When I was in our store last Thursday to pick up supplies and went in to see the spotlights, I saw these two coffin guys still on the floor.

I was tempted and they look like nice quality. I like the detailing on them and being resin and waterproof is a big plus. Great half buried in the yard.

Don't know what made it unsold through the past weekend but they actually still had quite a bit of nice halloween left at that location. Even had several double packs of skulls. Still basically two weeks to sell out. I'll probably run in at the end of the week and see what's still available.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I see your Home Depot still has a bunch of doormats, GoS. For whatever reason, the doormats plus a lot of general fall/autumn stuff sold out really quickly when it first went out in September, at the HD I usually frequent.

Also, they finally put out the spotlights at my HD, right where GoS said - next to some Martha Stewart lights. I picked up two of the blue spotlights and tested them out last night. They're REALLY bright and throw a lot of light - maybe a little too much for my needs, since I'm mainly doing accent lighting. The light is very concentrated, though, and almost looks like neon. I'll probably end up returning them and going back to my homemade spotlights ($5 spike and a blue CFL), even though I like the convenience and less heat output/energy use of these LED spotlights. But if you're trying to light up your house, or really throw a ton of focused light on a prop, these spotlights look great.

October 20th and I'm still screwing around with lighting...I really thought I'd be done early this year, since I planned my modest setup a month or two in advance.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I kind of like to see what the stores have the week leading up to halloween to get an idea of what could be left over after halloween. One of my Lowes is already a definite "don't waste your time" being pretty depleted so can scratch off my list. This Home Depot above with the coffins might be worth a shot. Next week I'll check out a few more stores while running around for last minute items. Last year I picked up some great items from a different HD.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice, pretty much all the big stuff except the 36" tombstone is gone from the HD I usually go to. It's marked down to 50% off online now, along with a bunch of other stuff. The giant skull got marked down to $41, and I think the gargoyle statue got marked down to $70 or so, and those are all gone as well. I just bought one of those bluetooth tombstone speakers for $12.50 plus tax. It's indoor only, but if the weather's good next year I think it'll be a cool addition to my other tombstones.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Saw the 50% off posts before heading out this morning to HD for some supplies I needed but figured nothing would be left. Very little was left, all marked down, but I did manage to pick up 8 Gemmy Short Circuit screw in bulbs for 4.99 :D If there was anything I still was hoping to pick up it would be those bulbs so really lucked out.

I think we'll experiment by putting one in each of our outdoor garage light fixtures. They are glass covered paneled so kind of pain to have to take apart but hoping I can put the bulb in, set the switch to short circuit, put everything back together and use our inside house switch to turn them on and off. Keeping my fingers crossed that the porch ceiling lights with floods in them can be switched out too. Not sure about the base of them.

My store also had one set of these black kind-of-tinseled mice (outdoor decor) that I thought were actually pretty nice. And if there was any way I could see using it in any of my haunt themes, they had one 7-8 ft LED lit inflatable dragon left too. I Really like that inflatable but I'm so set for themes for a number of years and it just doesn't fit in and besides don't have the yard space for him. $44 I think. Someone will be very happy to pick him up. Great for a Harry Potter theme. That really was all the halloween at my HD that I found interesting. I was so excited about finding the Short Circuit bulbs that I forgot one of the items that I went in for, duh!

Definitely recommend a quick trip in if you are in the area of your HD.

Oh and did see some of those quick coffin boxes in my store too.

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
Stopped back into HD and the Dragon inflatable was gone. Some kid is going to be very happy to see that in their yard. Anyone else finding some cool things left in the store?

181 - 200 of 200 Posts