Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I started this Thread because Lowes and Menards always seem to have amazing Halloween stuff.(I don't have a Menards but its fun to hear about them;) ) As for Home depot goes last year they had a small selection of airblowns and lighting and 2 life sizes. According to Gemmy's preview It seems Home Depot has taken a set up when it comes to their airblowns which leads me to believe they have the potential to have other great stuff too.

If anyone knows anything feel free to post here :)!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
heh....you're going to be bumping it alot. Not much effort goes into checking if someone else already posted about what stores have....for example the multiple Costco Skeleton threads. So if you want to keep this as the "oficial" one, keep bumping it to the top so folks will see it.

F

·
0 Posts
Last year I saw Lowe's had some neat stuff. I will check them out again this year too!

·
Registered
569 Posts
For the last two years lowes had those projectors. I think they were Gemmy. Toters said that our house freaked them out because of the images projecting on the house. The skull looked like it was on fire because it's such a bad projector I guess it shakes the image? Not sure why but it was a hit. Will try to buy a third this year. For what ...I don't know.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think you are too early with this thread. Menards doesn't put stuff out until middle of August, and even though you didn't mention them, Kmart / Target / Walgreens don't put out stuff till middle of September. From what I gather, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, and Michaels, and Dollar General are the early bloomers for Halloween besides something like a speciality store like Spirit, or another generic Halloween store. For the department stores, it's because the Back to School stuff is in the area now. For Menards, they have to get rid of CERTAIN summer stuff to get in Halloween (Lawnmovers / sprinklers / hoses / etc). Menards can leave some summer stuff up though (patio stuff) until Christmas stuff gets setup a little later than Halloween stuff (another section at Menards). Than, when Halloween goes away, that becomes toy section for Christmas.

I think maybe a few years ago, the Back to School stuff got bought faster than it is now. I think that these stores are not getting as many shoppers for Back to School as they did before, and thus they are keeping the Back to School stuff up longer so they get rid of it instead of just clearing it all on Sept 1st.

In a way, I think that something like Michael's setting up so early really ruins it for me. Than, I think automatically that Target, Walgreens, and Kmart will have stuff up, but than they don't. I have to wait another 1 1/2 months for those stores to get stuff in. I do think that Michaels does set it up too early, but how much good summer stuff do they really have? So, it makes sense in a way why they are in such a hurry.

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
Yea, Hardware stores usually are the last places to get merchandise. Last year, a Lowe's in my are didn't get anything ZIP! I don't have a Menards. But I am too interested to see what they'll have.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are too early with this thread. Menards doesn't put stuff out until middle of August, and even though you didn't mention them, Kmart / Target / Walgreens don't put out stuff till middle of September. From what I gather, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, and Michaels, and Dollar General are the early bloomers for Halloween besides something like a speciality store like Spirit, or another generic Halloween store. For the department stores, it's because the Back to School stuff is in the area now. For Menards, they have to get rid of CERTAIN summer stuff to get in Halloween (Lawnmovers / sprinklers / hoses / etc). Menards can leave some summer stuff up though (patio stuff) until Christmas stuff gets setup a little later than Halloween stuff (another section at Menards). Than, when Halloween goes away, that becomes toy section for Christmas.

I think maybe a few years ago, the Back to School stuff got bought faster than it is now. I think that these stores are not getting as many shoppers for Back to School as they did before, and thus they are keeping the Back to School stuff up longer so they get rid of it instead of just clearing it all on Sept 1st.

In a way, I think that something like Michael's setting up so early really ruins it for me. Than, I think automatically that Target, Walgreens, and Kmart will have stuff up, but than they don't. I have to wait another 1 1/2 months for those stores to get stuff in. I do think that Michaels does set it up too early, but how much good summer stuff do they really have? So, it makes sense in a way why they are in such a hurry.
Thanks on informing me on how menards works. Also your right about the department store I guess I never really pay attention to back to school stuff. One thing I have noticed about my Kmart is they get Halloween in earlier than other department stores in my area but the selection is small in comparison to what's suppose to be in store and what I see from watching videos of other Kmart's but I think its all just an excuse to put Christmas earlier because I remember walking to the back of the store and what do I see? A trim a home Christmas tree on the shelf and ready to sale! However There used to be another Kmart that recently closed it had about the same selection as the Kmart I just mentioned but it was smaller and only put Christmas out a few days into November.I guess it all depends on the Size of the store and what you need to sell before you can get any Halloween out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think lowes and from videos i've seen, menards too, usually has a couple cool lifesizes, usually a reaper and a witch, plus last year there was a pirate. I havent checked my lowes yer, but it looks like theres some jind of rainbow animated reaper. I have the lowes ghostly strobe reaper which is a nice porch prop, but not scary enough to put in my haunted house. It'll be interesting to see the merchandise this year :)

·
Spooky Express
702 Posts
I just called my local Menards today an they said they should be setting up their Halloween items next week. What I have found the truth to be, however, is that Menards gets their new Halloween items in pretty early on in the season (Late July- Early August), but they keep them deep in their back room until they sell most of their summer and lawn items.

With that being said, Menards also sells whatever they can during the season, but at the end of the year their clearances never go above 50% off. Why is that? Because after about a week into November they put all their unsold Halloween merchandise in their back room, and keep it until next year to sell for the full price again. They keep doing this until about 3 or 4 years without the product selling, which then they list it for half off during the season.

I suppose doing this is better than constantly lowering the price of something daily until it gets to 90% (Like stores such as Target and Michaels do), but over time they would accumulate quite a few items that just will not sell. So technically, if you work in the Hardware department of Menards, you can enter the back room and see what they will have before they even put it out (Since you would be doing that yourself). :D

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
I just called my local Menards today an they said they should be setting up their Halloween items next week. What I have found the truth to be, however, is that Menards gets their new Halloween items in pretty early on in the season (Late July- Early August), but they keep them deep in their back room until they sell most of their summer and lawn items.

With that being said, Menards also sells whatever they can during the season, but at the end of the year their clearances never go above 50% off. Why is that? Because after about a week into November they put all their unsold Halloween merchandise in their back room, and keep it until next year to sell for the full price again. They keep doing this until about 3 or 4 years without the product selling, which then they list it for half off during the season.

I suppose doing this is better than constantly lowering the price of something daily until it gets to 90% (Like stores such as Target and Michaels do), but over time they would accumulate quite a few items that just will not sell. So technically, if you work in the Hardware department of Menards, you can enter the back room and see what they will have before they even put it out (Since you would be doing that yourself). :D
Party City does this too. I noticed last year when they were putting their stuff out early I saw a Jester cane with a full price sticker over a clearance sticker. I really like that Target and MIchaels marks their stuff way down. I am able to pick up stuff really cheap for the next year.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts

i went to menards last year just 4 days after halloween and they were already putting the leftover stock away. though they do have great stuff every year, i really wanted to hit up their clearance items. on the plus side, even not on clearance their prices are still pretty reasonable. i freaking love menards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work at Lowes in PA and we started to receive some stuff, but nothing good yet. Corporate set date isn't until week before Sept but if we can get the manager to ok it will be out earlier. It looks like the trend is to go with more inflatables this year. They've also updated the lifesize witch and I don't like what I've seen. The old witch has a Facebook at Olga LowesWitch if you have any pictures you can tag her in.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts
wtf is the hype with all the inflatables? they're overpriced and not even remotely scary looking. too cartoonish to be frightening. i mean sure, kids love them but holy crap. talk about lazy decorating! i guess lazy decorating is better than no decorating at all.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts