Halloween Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
The spider never hit 50% off. If I recall it was 250, I got it for $150, and that was the lowest discount (normally) it ever hit.
Newbies to HF/Home Depot/Lowes should note that a lot of this thread is talking more about Home Depot items than Lowes. The Skeleton referred to is the gigantic one from HD, maybe 10ft tall; and the gargantuan spider likewise was a HD item.

I also have the HD spider and he sat at 50% off online for a few days I think. I remember debating on picking him up then and was waiting for pay day to buy online taking my chances. The box for him was pretty substantial for that time (some much larger Halloween prop boxes from HD since) and that also was a consideration I was weighing—always where to store. I really wanted him though so kept checking the website. Then about when I decided to order I checked that night and he was still there before going to bed so figured I’d order in the morning. I was kicking myself that morning to realize not only did he sell out before I woke up but they had reduced him to 75% off! Was still listed on the website at that price and out of stock now. Understood why it sold out.

I immediately hopped on ebay that morning to see if he was listed and there were maybe a dozen of sellers asking anything priced from the 50% off HD price to higher. I bought mine at about the 50% price so didn’t feel too bad and actually quite lucky. The seller made his 25% markup and I still got a good deal. The spider shipped from HD’s warehouse so I’m positive the guy got the 75% discount pricing and just updated the delivery address to mine.

Worked out fine going through ebay that time but not another year when i missed out on the pirate wheel. Guy cancelled my purchase on me, said he inspected it before shipping and it was cracked so wouldn’t sell; I said I’d be fine with a cracked piece as it wouldn’t matter due to how I was going to be using. Nope refused to ship to me. I’m positive he was lying and just had his 75% off order cancelled by HD as it went out of stock before it was ready to ship to him. The biggest factor was that he was offering free shipping at an already 50% off price and no way if he had it in his hands would he sell it at a loss then. This also was an ebay listing the same day HD pricing went to 75% off. So be careful on these kind of day after sale purchases not through HD.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Back to Lowes halloween. I have to admit the blow mold monster hand caught my attention. I have a life size Frankenstein monster guy it might be nice to work in with. Over the years I’ve bought a few items from them. Recall a full size animated Skeleton Pirate with motion triggered sword, two of those cranking ghost ladies, a 3-4 ft haunted tree stump with “fire” inside, a misting genie lamp, a number of reduced Gemmy led spotlights, and last year the collapseable toxic barrel. Had missed out on the “boiling” Gemmy mad lab beakers but found them at Joann’s on clearance. Not as impressive as many of the props I got from HD but then recall when HD only carried a few Gemmy lifesized props like the mummy, skeleton pirate and Dr Shivers and assorted table stuff (bought the first two as my first large halloween props). Really depends what you want for your display. HD is closer to me so tends to be my place to shop more frequently but I always try to make at least one or two trips to Lowes to check them out as they set up. Apart from the large prop items at HD last year I thought the rest of HDs items were lacking in appeal.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Because there are two kinds of haunters. Serious haunters, like what you tend to find here, and people with more money than sense who buy cheap crap, throw it on the lawn and then it goes into the trash. Most stores cater to the later group.
So many families in my area want to put something out in their yard but will set up anywhere ftom a month to a week before so everything gets exposed to the elements (mostly evening/morning dew, wind and maybe 1-2 years out of 5 rain). So things get ratty after a year or so and either get donated to Goodwill or trashed. Some of the Home Depot stuff is more long-term keeper items but then they can cost way more than Lowes items. Some people keep their displays static over the years and maybe add to them while others like to reuse some things if they can and do something new. Storage here in my area of California with no basements, smaller lots and smaller houses with limited storage does factor into what you’re willing and able to store each year — without paying for storage elsewhere, which only die-hard haunters do. As long as the kids enjoy looking at your yard and get into the halloween spirit because of it, it’s all good in my book.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is there a way to find out when Lowe's or Home Depot will be releasing their Halloween stuff this year? (Twitter, facebook groups, etc.)?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts