Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I purchased a lightning storm simulator for my haunt, but now I'm torn. What looks better? The creepiness of low-lying fog in the graveyard, or a lightning and thunderstorm effect?? :eek: I don't think both at the same time makes sense. The weather conditions that lead to a lightning storm don't normally produce fog. I'm struggling with it now though.

Maybe I'll do lightning storm for the days leading up to Halloween, and then the fog effect on the night of Halloween? Maybe switch back and forth depending on how I'm feeling that night?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Personally, I say use both. I get what you're saying about it not making sense, but I've been to haunts that have used both and never once did I think "These aren't the proper weather conditions for fog! ugh!" both really set the atmosphere.

If we want to get technical I've been to graveyards too that have creaky door and rattling chains but neither there visually. I think if someone actually pointed it out it'd be like someone pointing out logic in a movie/tv show. Like on Gilligans Island the professor could make a way to build a radio out of a coconut but couldn't get them off the island? Why did they have luggage if it was a three hour tour? You're not supposed to overthink it or there would be no show.

Carpe Diem, use both!

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, I say use both. I get what you're saying about it not making sense, but I've been to haunts that have used both and never once did I think "These aren't the proper weather conditions for fog! ugh!" both really set the atmosphere.

If we want to get technical I've been to graveyards too that have creaky door and rattling chains but neither there visually. I think if someone actually pointed it out it'd be like someone pointing out logic in a movie/tv show. Like on Gilligans Island the professor could make a way to build a radio out of a coconut but couldn't get them off the island? Why did they have luggage if it was a three hour tour? You're not supposed to overthink it or there would be no show.

Carpe Diem, use both!
LOL! So true. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I can always try both and if I don't like it, go with another option. I really like Godcrusher's idea. I remember setting up fog one year (the first year I did it) and the wind on Halloween killed the effect so I never tried it again. Being in a new house I was thinking of trying again. I think I'll have both set up and see what tickles my fancy.

Any other thoughts? I think both effects are great, but wondering which others seem to like more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also - make sure you use some higher quality fog juice, not the stuff they sell at halloween adventure. Grab yourself any variation from Froggys, I was using Froggy's Freezin Fog.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great tip, brimagic! I appreciate that. Just curious, what are the downfalls of cheap fog juice? Toxic residue? Or does is crust up the fogger?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive used both cheap fog and froggy's in a 400 watt fogger and the output using the Halloween store juice just pales in comparison. I wouldn't say one is worse than the other for the machine so long as you keep it clean between uses.

I think the froggy's retails for about $25 a gallon and I still have at least half left after last year.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I been using both for past 2 years. I also don't use any other lighting in the graveyard. I like how some do but I also like it without any other lights. I do however use tiki torches along the walkway to the entrance of the castle.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You're overthinking it. If the TOT is going to scrutinize the believability of having fog and thunder/lightning at the same time, how will they get past having a graveyard in your front yard. LOL! They simply love effects. Run them both.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the TOT is going to scrutinize the believability of having fog and thunder/lightning at the same time, how will they get past having a graveyard in your front yard. LOL!
LOL! Too funny! :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could actually have both if you think about it. If the ground is cool overnight on a clear night and all the sudden a warm front moves in and clouds the warm air on the cool ground cause fog. And if the warm front is because of a storm then there could be lightning flashing from the storm before the rain begins and causes the fog to evaporate. So to me you can use both,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts