Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I'll admit it. Sometimes I still watch the original "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" on the Boomerang Channel. (No Scrappy Doo episodes, please!) And of course, I never miss the Charlie Brown Halloween Special. That old Dolly Madison Halloween commercial used to scare the heck out of me! lol I also love classic amusement park haunted dark rides... the hokier- the better!

Anyway, is there anything Halloween related - not necessarily a TV show - or not general- like the holiday itself- that you loved as a child that you still get a big kick out of now?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,458 Posts
Pretty much everything, lol. I could name a million cartoons and such from when I was little that I still love today...including the Charlie brown holiday specials!!! I suppose I will always be a kid at heart. (Wait...everything except Popples...I LOVED those little furry guys, that is, until I had a recurring nightmare that they surrounded me in my bedroom at night and turned into the evil version of the Gremlins with large knives...backing me into a corner and I couldn't scream...{{shivers}}...haven't looked at a Popple the same way since!) :D

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Wait...everything except Popples...I LOVED those little furry guys, that is, until I had a recurring nightmare that they surrounded me in my bedroom at night and turned into the evil version of the Gremlins with large knives...backing me into a corner and I couldn't scream...{{shivers}}...haven't looked at a Popple the same way since!:D
I always knew that those colorful, fuzzy things were bundles of pure evil masquerading as something too cute to be suspected...;)

Garfield's Halloween special, although I have not actually seen it in years. I want to buy the DVD, but the affordable version (from Canada, eh) only works in certain regions, and the USA, of course, is not one:rolleyes:

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,458 Posts
I always knew that those colorful, fuzzy things were bundles of pure evil masquerading as something too cute to be suspected...;)

Garfield's Halloween special, although I have not actually seen it in years. I want to buy the DVD, but the affordable version (from Canada, eh) only works in certain regions, and the USA, of course, is not one:rolleyes:
Hahaha! It's true...they really are evil...

Garfield!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Garfield!!!!! Now I want to watch the Halloween special, too.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The Wizard of Oz always came on around Halloween. That movie in black and white used to scare the bejebbies out of me. I was petrified of the flying monkeys and the Wicked Witch. However, I loved being a witch at Halloween. We always had a Halloween Carnival (not a Fall Festival, thank you very much) at my elementary school. Every room had a game or something in it and there was a large pet show where we could bring our creatures, a general store where they sold everything from jams and jellies, Halloween goodies, home baked goods, even a cake walk.magic tricks, etc. There was also a big talent show and of course a costume contest. Everyone dressed up including the teachers. There was even a spook house---not spooky at all though. This carnival holds some of my best memories from childhood.

When I first started teaching, the school district where I worked in a small town had a similar carnival. However, it was held in the gym. All the elementary classes and parents had a booth. Most of the middle school and high school clubs participated. I was in high school and we use it as a major fund raiser. We did a photo booth (taught journalism/photo). I was Medusa one year and this was way way before you could buy costumes for adults in our area. I used Mary Kay makeup oatmeal mask on my face and had those dark green craft bendable things for the snakes. I was a witch numerous times---always different, fortune teller and had a fortune telling booth one year. Ohhhhh so much fun.

Even then I did not care for scary stuff too much. there was always a great spook house that was held in the basement of one of the buildings next to the gym. Finally, the group that always did the spook house quite doing it when the adviser left. THey offered us 100% of the money we made and we jumped at it. A couple of years we used cardboard for walls for the rooms and then finally bought black plastic rolls an strung them from the ceiling to make the walk thru. We borrowed a real casket every year and each year it was different. Some years we used horror movie themes and others mixed it up. We always had a chain saw and lots of classic monsters. The most fun was the year that we got a donation from a plant in the area for a huge plastic pipe tube that students and adults had to slide down to enter the house of horrors. At the bottom of the tube we had sets of old box springs covered with thin mattresses. It was hilarious when they hit that and tried to get up and walk. We also always had a guide to take small groups through sort of telling the story. It was sooooooo much fun and we kicked a&& with the money. We had people come to ours from several towns around us and one year were open two nights.

Awwww the memories. Thus, my love of Halloween. Thanks for starting this thread. It all started with an elementary Halloween carnival.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,332 Posts
I will still watch Scooby Doo, retro version. The new versions are OK but they're not those cheesy 70s ones with Don Knotts or Davy Jones as guests that I grew up watching.

Back in my vid store clerkin' days I was always amazed at how popular Scooby Doo still was. We had the old versions & the new versions & they were always rented out.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I still love Charlie Brown's Halloween. Especially when Linus describes The Great Pumpkin rising out of the pumpkin patch in that cute, lispy voice.

Another Halloween classic is the song "Monster Mash". Still love it! :)

Great thread - thanks for bringing back those childhood memories!

·
Mother of Monsters
1,419 Posts
Love original scooby doo episodes but I do watch the newer ones with my monsters. I love the Simpsons tree house if terror episodes and Roseanne Halloween episodes. I love the Garfield one too but haven't seen it for years.

The biggest part I remember of Halloween when I was a kid was dressing up. First my mom made all my costumes then I got into it too. I have also made several of my kids' costumes. It just makes them more special to me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of the original "Scooby Doo, Where Are You" 1969 episodes. In fact I own them all, and I still turn them on for back ground noise when I'm busy working on projects. I'm 48 and my 15 year old daughter loves to watch them with me. Of course I've got her hooked on all the original Universal Monster movies too. (Yes I have all of those in my collection too) It's nothing for us to just curl up on the couches on a Friday or Saturday night, pop some popcorn and watch the classics. Takes me right back to my childhood watching the late night horror host in my area. I grew up on the Hoolihan and Big Chuck show in the 60's and 70's, Big Chuck and Little John, Superhost (on Saturday afternoons) and the Ghoul from the 70's to 90's. Yep, I'm just a "MonsterKid" at heart!

EDIT: Oh for those of you that have never heard of those shows, they were on in the Cleveland Ohio market. Channel 8, Channel 43 and Channel 61, as I remember.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I saw the initial first sentence and was like “yeah, Garfield , totally. That was my favorite Halloween one as a kid. Old “tree house of horror" too

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,271 Posts
The classic Scooby Doo was required watching after school, only to be missed if the urge to go outside was greater. I agree that the Scrappy episodes were my least favorite too. Also the Addams Family was one that I loved as a kid too. Never saw the Munsters until I was a teenager, but the Addams' are still my favorite.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The classic Scooby Doo was required watching after school, only to be missed if the urge to go outside was greater. I agree that the Scrappy episodes were my least favorite too. Also the Addams Family was one that I loved as a kid too. Never saw the Munsters until I was a teenager, but the Addams' are still my favorite.
Oh those are some of the other shows as a kid I loved! I was a Munster's fan over Addams Family though. Did anyone happen to catch the pilot episode of the new Munster's? The one with Eddie Izzard (love that guy). It didn't get picked up, but I thought it had a lot of promise.

Now, how many of you remember Dark Shadows? That was a show that I'd run home from school to watch. And how about the "Kolchak - The Night Stocker" series? Of course there was "Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and Night Gallery." Never missed an episode of those either.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I love everything about Halloween as a kid. And it seems everyone else does too because when I try to buy anything vintage that I remember from my youth, it goes for mega bucks. I love the noise makers, tin horns, tambourines and clickers. Had I known those clickers would go for $30 each, I would have held on to them. Wax whistles were a lot of fun, and then we chewed them up. I'm not sure why cause they weren't really good tasting. Looking over my post it seems the things I like best made a lot of noise. I remember going around the neighborhood, and knowing where the other kids were because you could hear them blocks away. I think the noise was to keep the evil spirits at bay. lol
My kids growing up loved the Rosanne and Tool Time shows. They still watch them every chance they get.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,430 Posts
Yes-- I grew up in the "pre-Scrappy" days, thank goodness.
The original Scooby-Doo is definitely on the list.
I used to love the "Groovy Ghoolies" and "Sabrina, the teenage witch" too!
Also "Johnny Quest" was kind of scary sometimes.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Home Improvement, Tim the tool man Taylor always had great Halloween episodes.
For sure, as did Roseanne.

Did anyone happen to catch the pilot episode of the new Munster's? The one with Eddie Izzard (love that guy). It didn't get picked up, but I thought it had a lot of promise.
Yes. Here, NBC was ignorant and decided to rebroadcast some stupid Halloween show featuring mostly kiddie things rather than that, so I wound up watching it online when it became available (I saved the link and was going to add it here, but the video does not appear to be working any longer). I liked the dark tone of the show and how ruthless Grandpa was, and it is unfortunate that Mockingbird Lane was not picked up by another network when NBC crapped out on running the series.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,271 Posts
Oh those are some of the other shows as a kid I loved! I was a Munster's fan over Addams Family though. Did anyone happen to catch the pilot episode of the new Munster's? The one with Eddie Izzard (love that guy). It didn't get picked up, but I thought it had a lot of promise.

Now, how many of you remember Dark Shadows? That was a show that I'd run home from school to watch. And how about the "Kolchak - The Night Stocker" series? Of course there was "Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and Night Gallery." Never missed an episode of those either.
Those are all great too! I remember when syfy used to air those and always catch the Twilight Zone marathons. As for Dark Shadows, I missed it when it originally aired due to the fact that I didn't yet exist, but caught the reruns in the 90s. I'm actually planning on incorporating the mausolem and Eagle Hill cemetery into my display this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
matrixmom
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing