Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share some pics from our Lovecraft Puzzle Room we did for halloween.
The idea was we locked people in a room and they had to solve the puzzles to get out. We structured it around Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror
(nice adaptation here https://archive.org/details/SuspenseDunwichHorrorWithRonaldColman110145 )

One of the puzzles was to find the right ingredients to collect to make a potion to make the monster visible, and I made good use of forum tips for making the potions
IMG_8488.JPG
IMG_8492.JPG
IMG_8493.JPG
IMG_8494.JPG
IMG_8495.JPG
Some of the potions had other uses too. The "candlelight distillate" potion had flickering LEDs, and when you placed it on the right spot in a candleholder the candles lit up and blinked out a clue.
And the "fainting fluid" would fall over when a shadow passed over (unfortunately the animated gif is too big for the forum)
faintingfluidseq.jpg
Once you collected the right potions, you put them in the "Potion Machine" and it would pump out a potion
IMG_8378.JPG
which when sprayed would make the monster appear in the window
monster.jpg

Another puzzle was to make the right connections between pins on the map. We had various artifacts around the room to help make the associations.
IMG_8389.JPG
IMG_8356.JPG
IMG_8399.JPG
When you had the right connections the door to the secret room popped open, giving you a few more pieces to solve the puzzle.

All the clues went into a form to reveal a chant to banish the monster.
IMG_8383.JPG

It was pretty challenging for people to solve, but they had fun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently puzzle rooms are actually viable business models. I went to a local one, and it was fun but didn't have any story, so we worked on making a story for ours. And plenty of Lovecraft literature involves getting a letter, newspaper clippings, coded books, and trying to figure out what it all means, so it fit nicely.

No idea what this one is like, but
http://roomescapeadventures.com/atlanta/

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's an awesome idea. Would love to try this. Although I'd have to do it for our party and not the haunt itself. We do a walk-about-display and most all of our ToTs are impatient. They wanna grab their candy and move on to the next house.

I'd be very curious to hear some of the technical aspects involved. Were high or low tech solutions involved in the object placement puzzles? Magnets or RFID? Very curious.

-TM

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely not for the TOTs, we did groups of about 5 and they each took about an hour. Though some of the props could be reused for display outside.

The candle puzzle used magnets and reed switches to activate. I considered RFID but would have been much bulkier. I also wanted the jar to sense having been placed on the candleholder so it's light could drain out and light up the candles, and the jar circuitry needed to be kept to a minimum.

The map puzzle connections were made with conductive wires. There was a circuit checking for all the right connections to be made, and then it popped a lock open.

The tipping jar used a photosensor and servo.

The potion machine used a weight sensor to detect the right things had been placed on it, and then pumped some liquid out into a spray bottle.

To tell when people had sprayed the potion we just watched on video, and we triggered a sound and light sequence.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow! This is totally amazing! I need to think of something like this for next year, but with riddles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's pretty simple but clever, especially the weight sensor on the potion machine.
We tried to keep the triggers as simple as possible, but it still took a lot of engineering time to make it all come together.
It paid off though, because people were not expecting stuff to actually happen in response to solving a puzzle. It was fun watching people as they figured out how they needed to connect the pins on the map, but the reactions were great when they actually finished and the door popped open.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Very clever and impressive!
My wife wanted us to have a different kind of a scavenger hunt here in 5,000 sq. ft. of house.
There already are many features here to make it very interesting for most people.
But then , just having them play Hyde & Shriek is simpler...but then....hhhmmm?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Love this idea! Would like a little more detail on the candle blinking out a clue. This might be what I've been searching for to complete my murder mystery.

I have the plot, and characters polished and an ending. It's the clue dropping for the evening that I've been wracking my brain on. Would you mind sharing with me?

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took some used candles and stuck a pair of leds in each (a pair so the "flame" can waver as well as flicker), and made a stand to hold the candles that could fit an arduino underneath. Then i stuck a piece of wood on the front with a slot for a uniquely shaped jar with a magnet at the bottom, and put a reed switch inside the board. When the jar was put in, the candles would "ignite" and flicker, then about once a minute they would all go out and sequentially blink the code. The first one would blink some number of times, then the second, etc, and then all start flickering again. The 3 numbers would unlock a 3 digit lock. Symbols on the jar, candle holder, and lock all matched up.

here's a picture of the setup.
IMG_8369.JPG

Yeah, this was for a party, too involved for TOTs

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,312 Posts
Thought I'd share some pics from our Lovecraft Puzzle Room we did for halloween.
The idea was we locked people in a room and they had to solve the puzzles to get out. We structured it around Lovecraft's Dunwich Horror
(nice adaptation here https://archive.org/details/SuspenseDunwichHorrorWithRonaldColman110145 )

One of the puzzles was to find the right ingredients to collect to make a potion to make the monster visible, and I made good use of forum tips for making the potions.

Some of the potions had other uses too. The "candlelight distillate" potion had flickering LEDs, and when you placed it on the right spot in a candleholder the candles lit up and blinked out a clue.
And the "fainting fluid" would fall over when a shadow passed over (unfortunately the animated gif is too big for the forum)

Once you collected the right potions, you put them in the "Potion Machine" and it would pump out a potion

which when sprayed would make the monster appear in the window

Another puzzle was to make the right connections between pins on the map. We had various artifacts around the room to help make the associations.

When you had the right connections the door to the secret room popped open, giving you a few more pieces to solve the puzzle.

All the clues went into a form to reveal a chant to banish the monster.

It was pretty challenging for people to solve, but they had fun.

Wow what a great idea! I really love the blinking candle idea I have to say I will be using this for inspiration!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you guys like it, I had fun with it.
The character of our escape rooms have definitely changed over the past few years, this year I'm hoping to get more of these old and spooky elements back in.

There's no problem in anyone using these ideas, but I'm always interested to hear how things turned out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wonderful. Reading stuff like this excites me just like I did when I first tried an escape room in Chicago called Fox in a Box. Learning new stuff is fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Incredible! I love escape rooms and the engineering knowledge to pull this off is beyond me. I'm a major prop building girl, but old school pumping pipe, chicken wire, basically anything I can buy at home depot and glue, rope, zip tie or nail together, but this is amazing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts