Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post some pics of my busy day. The front row is a mix of hollow plastic skulls and hydrostone skulls. The back row is cement skulls and another hydrostone skull. I change my painting technique today. I dug up the old airbrush to see what the results were. I think I will be airbrushing most of them from now on. It takes a bit longer but it is well worth it. Enjoy the pics and thanks for looking!

·
Registered
594 Posts
And how do you get them to light up with that awesome orange glow around them?!?! Haha, kidding scourge, LOL.... I think they are just great, you are the bomb! ;)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Scourge, they look great!

Hey, you're in Seattle! I'm up in Mill Creek. A group of us are trying to put together a NW Make-and-Take. Check out the thread:

Northwest Haunters make and take

I'd love to learn more about casting - especially skulls. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated. (materials, techniques, etc.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now that's a load of skulls! Nicely done. Another argument for me to get an airbrush.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yardhauntjunkie:
I am making these skulls for resale locally. And it’s just wicked cool to have a crap ton of skulls around, LOL.

Mr. Chicken:
The cement is an indoor/outdoor skull. Very good for gardens, no weather issues.
The Hydrostone captures all the details extremely well but in door only.
The plastic is great to paint and could stand the elements for a while. Mostly if I need to ship one, the hollow plastic is very light keeping shipping cost down. Very professional looking.

Cement $15.00 for a 60 pound bag (quick dry)
Hydrostone $15.00 for a 50 pound bag (far more durable than plaster)
Plastic $135.00 for a two gallon kit

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Those castings are looking great, Scourge!
You made good molds to get such consistant results with a variety of casting materials, and the paint-up looks excellent too, great job!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Would you be willing to try a couple using a can of expanding foam? Thought I would throw that out there if you are still experimenting a bit. The skulls I make with this approach turn out descent but I am in no way are your level of skill. I guess I would just love to see a true artist take it on if you are up for the challenge! :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you be willing to try a couple using a can of expanding foam? Thought I would throw that out there if you are still experimenting a bit. The skulls I make with this approach turn out descent but I am in no way are your level of skill. I guess I would just love to see a true artist take it on if you are up for the challenge! :D
Bubbles, hahaha that is funny because I already tried. And I failed miserably. Here are some pics for you. I used a two part expanding foam. The far left one almost worked out. The one next to it expanded so much it leaked through in between the mold shells. And the others well, just didn’t work. I would really like to make some foam skulls. I just need a different product I think.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bubbles, hahaha that is funny because I already tried. And I failed miserably. Here are some pics for you. I used a two part expanding foam. The far left one almost worked out. The one next to it expanded so much it leaked through in between the mold shells. And the others well, just didn’t work. I would really like to make some foam skulls. I just need a different product I think.

Is your mold fully enclosed? The mold I use has an opening in the bottom, so I flip it upside down and let the foam expand out. But I got to tell you, I have been having a horrible time getting good casts lately. They keep coming out with areas that havn't expanded. The only thing I can think off, is that the new jar of vaseline I am using for a release agent has some sort of chemical in it that is messing with the foam. Either that or great stuff decided to drop the quality of their product to survive the recession.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is your mold fully enclosed? The mold I use has an opening in the bottom, so I flip it upside down and let the foam expand out. But I got to tell you, I have been having a horrible time getting good casts lately. They keep coming out with areas that havn't expanded. The only thing I can think off, is that the new jar of vaseline I am using for a release agent has some sort of chemical in it that is messing with the foam. Either that or great stuff decided to drop the quality of their product to survive the recession.
Mr. Chicken, I am trying to think what I can use them for other than batting practice, LOL.

Bubbles, the mold is closed. Here are some pics of it. It is two flexible 2020 inner pieces and two outer hard plastic shells. I just mixed the two part foam, then poured in and close the mold with a ratchet strap.

Looks like a messed up cake, LOL

·
Registered
725 Posts
The one that is missing the side of the jaw. You could paint it with black / green to go with the caved in affect. Thats what I have been doing with the ones that dont come out perfect.

Here is how i have been painting mine, however I dont have any good examples of the caved in ones, just some green placed to give it a bit of a molding look.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Hey Bubbels, if you're using a one part polyfoam, (like Great Stuff) it needs a small amount of moisture to cure. You say caved in ones... that makes me believe the foam didn't cure in the middle. Well, cured at a much slower rate at least.
When used to fill a large void, such as a skull mold, very lightly mist the mold with water before adding a layer of foam. Mist again and add another layer, repeating until you have enough foam to fill the mold. Don't wait between layers, you want the water entrapped in the foam. Be careful not to create air pockets at the surface of the mold when doing the layers.
Or... Go for a hollow cast by misting, then covering the surface of the mold with foam. Another light mist wouldn't hurt at the end.

Scourge, I'm a little surprised you had such troubles with a two-part foam. It looks to me that you used a rigid non-skinning foam. If so, I think the problem may have been with pressure building up in the mold, restricting the expansion. I believe that if your mold had a vent hole, you would have found better results. If you want a hollow skull, a straw through the vent hole into the center of the mold works well.

Even though the skulls are not exactly what you were shooting for, I say they still have potential for some really cool looking props! Even just a fragment of a skull is useful!

Don't give up on the foam skulls you two, I think you both will be happy once you get the kinks out.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip! That might explain it. In Minnesota we have a rather humid climate, and I am thinking that my really good skulls were made before we sealed the house up for the winter. Will have to give this a spin and let you know. Just might be the answer to making the foam skulls a good solution!

·
Banned
58 Posts
Those cement skulls look really cool....I should really get a frankenbucky and learn how to mold it for garden stones! lol The regulat buckies are too small unless I stack em 1 over 2, 2 over 1 etc.

Those foam ones aren't terrible....that stuff can be cut. I know after spraying some where a squirl was getting in the attic..I later found he chewed through it...and puked up the parts he didn't like :p

·
Registered
591 Posts
Scourge:paint them a bleached bone Color and use them like an animal has gotten to them and left them.If you look at real one found during digs they all look like those.google some pics of ancient digs you can see what I'm saying.So your in Minn. I'm in ND.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I like the messed up ones....The one with the foam coming out the mouth could look like worms or roots. All are still useful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts