Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I know its been awhile since i posted a project of mine up here. Im far along in this build but i do have video footage i will attach to show some steps backtracking this build. I wanted to make a big tomb for multiple reasons. For one, to house fog machines and protect them from being stolen or water damage. Secondly, it takes up a nice space in the center of the yard and makes a good centerpiece to any cemetery.

Onto the build: So i wanted to make a tomb..but living in New York where houses in my neighborhood are pissing distance away i wanted to make it collapsible for easy storage. In the pictures you will see 1 X1 furring strips which are white (scrap) that have pre-drilled holes in them with 2 inch screws i believe. Set in the foam lined up is screw anchors such as for drywall but these are the plastic ones that you push in then screw with a screw driver..same thing i know but easier for foam! this holds all the corners nice and snug and when i want to take them apart i screw out a half an inch and they pop out... same thing goes with the middle crossbar.. (provides support and keeps it from bowing since the foam sides are longer then 6 feet.

Im currently working on the lid.. i got the cross dont today by taking a small image and taking a 3 foot by 18 inch piece of foam 1 in thick to make the cross... it will be mounted on the lid. The lid overhangs 3 inches on each side as you see in the picture.. its the style i was going for:)

The skull on the front has a built in system that has pvc piping from a fog machine to pump fog out the skulls teeth and nose (badass effect).

More to come;)

--------------------------------------------
OLD PAST WORK FOOTAGE: NOT CURRENT PROGRESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUQ7M3tfBPE&list=UUXWgFBKnw-ErA6KqxCd0EGg&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxE34bDRLo&list=UUXWgFBKnw-ErA6KqxCd0EGg&index=1&feature=plcp

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments! I want to finish up this week! Right now im sanding the top... it takes the clean look off the foam and gives stone and rough feel and look to it! I reccomend doing this on bigger props that you want to look more like stone! the only thing is more paint! I find when sanding the foam down the paint absorbs into the foam and takes more time to cover it with the desired color!

I will take more pics today!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres a little update. I mounted the cross and other designs i wanted and then caulked in the cracks for the cross so it looks to be from one piece. I was also able to put a first coat on. Tomorrow i will do the second coat and then im also thinking how to whether the top... i cant do drips so im thinking of dry brushing or smudging to give an age to it! More to come tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay! Its just about done! Theres some final touches ive been adding and still have to add moss which ill do when setting up. I decided to water down black paint in a bucket and take a rag and heavily wipe it across the top... seemed to work pretty well. Soon ill set it up in the dark with a light so you can get an idea!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im already thinking of modifications for next year... definitely molding around the edges... this is the base and i will build it up to something elegant and expensive "looking" :) but not this year!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone!! I really do appreciate and love reading through your kind compliments!! I was thinking of actually maybe making a more official tutorial of making a collapse able tomb with measurements and everything needed! If i can finished some projects up i will see what i can do:) I only built this after seeing that to buy a prop like this would be $600 easily... not even shipped... I think i built it for maybe $80-$90! Nothing like sticking it to the man by saving money am i right?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1 for truth! I shudder to think at what I'd have to pay to have my columns built, seriously!
I saw those!!! Sweet build!! Really Really nice... I couldnt imagine what that would cost to have done... Luckily alot of us haunters have this keen sense to find something cool but expensive and instead build it ourselves... and in the end most of the time its better then what we would have dished out the money to get!! Thats the best part.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks osenator! I too admire your yard!!! I wish i had that many props. You decorate very well!

Scorpion... Thanks! Hopefully i can get to it if not then right after halloween i can put something together... Whether i do something through haunt project or through the tutorial section here or just a downloadable pdf ill make sure it gets out there to those that are interested... over the next week since its fresh i will gather the materials i needed and costwise and measurements:) easier to do that now while i have it in front of me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
creeeepycathy
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing