Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
-:- Hi-Rez Designs -:-
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

-

Lord Dave - The Drinking Pirate Halloween Prop

Used a "Barney" skeleton so I could hide the tubing inside the arm. Also put a "poseable" steel rod in his arm for strength. Changed the "Barney skull" to a "bucky" skull because the Barney head looked way too big.

I made the mistake of using roofing tar to seal the barrel, and after 3 weeks it still hadn't dried. So I scraped out all the roofing tar and fiber glassed the inside of the tub. Skeleton is treated with Minwax Gel stain so it was waterproof. And the costume was $6 kids pirate outfit at Target from last year and was shred and "dirtied".

Very pleased with the end result of the whole thing.

-

Not realizing that the temperature was going to reach 112 degrees in Los Angeles today ... Dave "the pirate" was going "soft" in the sun ... so he has been relocated to my atrium (which is indoors and shaded) where he will live and stay cool ALL YEAR ROUND NOW!

My wife is not happy about it ... but he is our new family member.

-

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,091 Posts
That is awesome! I love the eyepatch, the aging on the skelly...

Wonderfully clever running the tube inside the arm! :D

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is the 50-70 GPH pump ... It was $24 at Home Depot. My main concern was that it had to push approx 3' through 1/4 tubing. 1/4 tubing was the max thickness I could put through his arm and wrist without it "bulging". I made a little adaptor to go from 3/8" to 1/4" off the pump. The whole prop with everything cost about $100 to make ... the barrel (it is not real wood - it is plastic) I got from a friend for free, and the skeleton was $49 and the skull I had, and the pump was $24, tubing + converting pipes $4, minwax - already had, pirate outfit - already had from last year, fiberglass to fix a couple leaking in the tube - $14.

·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny thing is that I caught my dog later in the day trying to drink the water that was falling from the bottle to the skeleton's mouth ... kind of a sideways "lap" ... unfortunately I was unable to get my camera out fast enough to capture it.

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
That turned out great!!! I just love your bulldogge.......too cute!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts