Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the LOR website that they have a servo controller now. I was wondering if anyone here had any insight positive or negative about the LOR Servodog?

ServoDog 8-Channel Servo Controller

I personally don't have any knowledge of servos and controllers, but it seems pretty steep compared to VSA and a Lnyxmotion controller. But, like I said I don't know much about them and their pros and cons. I would like to hear some thoughts from other Halloween enthusiast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm just completing a How-To on a $10 3 or 4 servo controller. As it is it is free standing but easy to drive.

Next thing is I'll be attempting to write some code to make it look like a Mini-SSC controller to VSA.

I'll post the article by next weekend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The ServoDog looks like an interesting product. It fulfills some of the needs I saw when designing the Medusa DMX. Here's a few comments on the product + a few musings on halloween products, in general....

Similar to the SSC-32, it can be used to control servos, or be used to send logic-level signals out (~20mA TTL, probably). Unlike the SSC32, this one runs on LOR protocol or DMX. The two unique things about this board are 1) it has on-board regulators for the servos, and 2) it has (2) high-current outputs [from the looks of the devices, probably 1-3 Amps]. These two features are unique, as far as I know. The on-board regulators might save you an extra power supply. The high-current outputs could probably be used to run DC motors or 750mA LEDs.

OK... so here's my slight rant, and this isn't directed toward anyone in particular, but rather to many posts 'round here I've seen...

I think lots of us have kinda gotten used to Walmart and Costco, where lots of items are disposably cheap. But in order to having something that cheap, everyone and their mother has got to want one. They don't sell VSA at Costco. They don't sell animated talking skulls at Walmart. They sell $10 nylon blowup frankensteins. That's what the masses want. If 1/10 people in the world wanted a talking skull for Halloween, Walmart would have 'em for <$100. We're the niche players, and niche doesn't run in volume.

Some products we as haunters use, do have overlapping markets. SSC32, for example, is used by lots of robot builders, performance artists, schools, and other DIYers outside of haunting. But, the more specialized a product gets, the smaller the market gets, and the bigger the costs get. Because there won't be as many sold, the cost of materials is higher (no volume pricing). And the development costs are spread over fewer units.

On the other hand, without niche, we wouldn't have VSA, Vixen, Prop1, PicoBoo, etc, etc, etc... How would props get animated without these?

Just some thoughts :)

- Hook

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I'm just completing a How-To on a $10 3 or 4 servo controller. As it is it is free standing but easy to drive.

Next thing is I'll be attempting to write some code to make it look like a Mini-SSC controller to VSA.

I'll post the article by next weekend.
Pololu has a tiny serial 8 servo controller as a kit for $18 and built for $20 that talks to VSA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts