Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foam Mausoleum Build

I decided to build myself a mausoleum and would like few tips on how to set it up. My current plans are to make it 4 foot square by 6 feet tall.

I'm thinking about using 2x2s for the frame.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-2-in-x-8-ft-Furring-Strip-Board-165360/202076422
Held together with some angled brackets.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-ZMAX-18-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Angle-A21Z/100375047
Covering the out side with 1 inch thick pink foam glued on with some liquid nails.
(Don't think anyone needs a link for this)
A couple of Concrete Form Tube covered in monster mud for pillars.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100321209-_-N

My plan for building this is to hold a projection. Probably a AtmosFX 3DFX Form.
https://www.amazon.com/AtmosFX-3DFX...F8&qid=1497577165&sr=8-8&keywords=atmosfearfx

If anything you have any tips or anything sounds wrong with my build please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just my 2cents, but I would nix the liquid nails and use Gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is sandable and paintable. I am not sure if liquid nails is the same. I guess either would work though.

Also, you will need water proofing. (i.e. Dry-lok) Once you use the monster mud you need to protect it. Otherwise, it will dissolve in the rain.

Finally, I would also add something to tie (or hold) it down. Even though this is a big structure, the wind still may play havoc with it.

I cant wait to see how it turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about Gorilla glue but I wanted to try to save a few bucks. Guess I should not cheap out on that this.

I live in AZ and rain is not really a problem that time of the year.

Ok yeah I don't want it to blow over!!! I'll see what I can do.

I'm just not 100% sure if 2x2s will be a strong enough frame. I think it will be fine. I'll reinforce it later if need be.
Also I'm I hope my door opening will be wide enough to fit my 3DFX Form.
I will be loosely following this guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f-G-rnwZv8&list=WL&index=4&t=25s

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is mine, similar to what you're describing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL0lzMmkf3g

Its very simple and not at all ornate. Nothing is permanently glued together and it can be assembled or disassembled by one person. It may or may not be what you're looking for but you might get some construction ideas if nothing else.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you want to build a mausoleum, you know it has to be sizeable for it to look right. So three things to consider:

Can you make it as "hollow" as possible?
Can you assemble/disassemble with minimal damage?
Can you pack it flat to store in the smallest package possible?

I would invest in a roll of 2" wide industrial Velcro. For example, this stuff:
http://a.co/j03M2S4

I know sometimes the sticky side just won't stay stuck, so use gorilla glue to really make it stay where it should. I've used it for my cemetery gates and Grimm pedestal, for the access doors behind the bases. Gorilla glue worked for me when the Velcro peeled off the foam. Yes you'll need screws to anchor your wooden frame beneath. But if everything can Velcro to that frame, it'll speed up assembly and teardown.

Plan your mausoleum as if you're assembling a house of cards. The more you can keep it lightweight and thin walled, the easier it will be to pack away. 1" thick foam can work for all major parts, but bounce down to 1/2" for details.

When you plan your "stonework" keep in mind how your mortar lines will wrap around corners. Lots of times you can plan your foam cuts to have squared "dovetail" joints. That way the foam interlocks and hides seam lines, and helps keep panels aligned to each other. Kinda like a puzzle, where pieces can only go together a certain way. It makes sure you cannot assemble it incorrectly.

If you plan to have an open door or archway to it, and you don't want to see bright pink foam insides, don't waste expensive paint on the interiors. Go get landscaping fabric, and glue it to the foam. Run a bead of Gorilla glue around the edges of the inside of the panels, stick the fabric down, and shred the edges. Don't cut them, cuz they'll be too clean edged. Rip or slash them, and leave them frayed. They'll blend in perfectly to the edge of the next panel.

If you're concerned about wind and movement, staple/screw some straps to that wooden frame, long enough to lay on the ground. Then drop bags of topsoil on the straps inside and hidden. Once you're done, just spread that topsoil on your yard for springtime fertilizing.

Hope these ideas help. Also, draw up your ideas, and share them with us. We'll critique and give more ideas.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from homedepot and decided not to use the angled brackets. I didn't consider the cost of them until I had 36 of then in my hand. The cost of the brackets would have ran me just about as much as the wood. I will just have to predrill all my holes and use some drywall screws to hold it all together. I will still use the brackets to hold the walls together so I can take it back apart for storage.

I did get all the wood I needed for the build. I may start on it tonight so if you have any more suggestions please share.

Bryan316's
I will keep all your suggests in mind but I do have one questions for you. You said "If you want to build a mausoleum, you know it has to be sizeable for it to look right."

Do you think my 4x4 build will be big enough? My thought process was I just needed a house to hold a 3D form of a projection. The average door way is about 3 feet wide so a 4 foot wall would give me plenty of room for the door and 6 inch on each side to place a small pillar. 6 feet tall would make it look tall enough for a person to stand in. I could even have my top trim extend up to make it look a bit taller if needed. Dose this sound good?

·
Registered
303 Posts
instead of brackets, cut plywood in 90x45x45 angles, then mount them on the side of each corner of your frame with the drywall screws. then attach the foam to the outside. See below:

frame building.jpg

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes I think a 6 foot square base layout would work well. With a 3 foot door, you get 1.5 feet on either side, which lets you hang sconces or el-cheapo outdoor lanterns. Or those flame cauldrons which would really light up the stonework details. Also lets you carve a nice looking stone archway, with some wall space surrounding it. And if you give some kind of nameplate above the door, you'll have more room to fit it.

If you still want to do an angle bracket idea, go get some metal piping hanger on a roll, like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Tab-Tape-339892/100168794

It'll work, and it's affordable.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Dustin what's the benefits of using asphalt sealer on tombstones instead of paint? Got any examples of those videos?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I think a 6 foot square base layout would work well. With a 3 foot door, you get 1.5 feet on either side, which lets you hang sconces or el-cheapo outdoor lanterns. Or those flame cauldrons which would really light up the stonework details. Also lets you carve a nice looking stone archway, with some wall space surrounding it. And if you give some kind of nameplate above the door, you'll have more room to fit it.

If you still want to do an angle bracket idea, go get some metal piping hanger on a roll, like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Tab-Tape-339892/100168794

It'll work, and it's affordable.
So I guess I should expand my front and back wall to 6 feet long. I was kinda thinking that. You could not fit a coffin in a 4 foot wide room.

I have a roll of that already. Ill give it a try but I feel like it wont be strong enough.

Dustin what's the benefits of using asphalt sealer on tombstones instead of paint? Got any examples of those videos?
It basically 5 Gals of black paint for 15 bucks.

I've seen unhinged productions use it on his paper mache
And Jenns Haunts use it in monster mud.

Ill see if i can find a link later.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
My hubby built ours out of 2"x4" lumber screwed together (so we could easily take it apart for storage), and 2" foam core board. He secured the foam to the frame using long bolts with big washers. The first year, I covered it with Scene Setter dungeon wrap secured with black Gorrilla tape, but the second year, I took some time and painted it. It was about 8' by 10' by 9' tall. Looked awesome and was large enough that I could show movies inside on a white sheet! And, it was sturdy enough that it didn't need to be weighted down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update on the Mausoleum.

I got the frame build and all the foam attached. I went with liquid nails over gorilla glue to attached the foam because its just way cheaper. I started drawing out the bricks but still have alot too go. Im doing the bricks 8 inch tall by 16 inch wide so they match the seams in the foam.

One problem I ran into was that some of the 2x2 from home depot are very warped and created big gaps where the foam meets. I dont want to fill in the gaps with anything because I want to disable it for storage. A easy fix for this will be to just add some trim on the corners. I'm thinking that a 2 inch wide strip of trim on each side of the corners should work fine. I'll probably go with some Velcro to attache it so that I can easily remove it later.

Still not really sure if I'm going to build a roof or just add some extra trim around the top.

Lastly, I think I'll just recycle the pillars I made last year over making new ones. Last year was my fist year and I started putting it all together on Sep first. LOL I had no idea what I was doing when I build the pillars and they need a good make over anyways.

As always please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions. I've gotten lots of great info from you guys already!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guess I'm not going with floor trim from home depot. Way too expensive!
What I am going to use is some foam pipe insulation. It comes in 6 foot strips and already cut down the center. All I got to do is just glue one side on.

Again if anyone has some tips please let me know.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got all the brick lined out and ready for carving.

Here is a test run.

I used a dremel free hand to carve the lines. They were a bit wavy so I used a steel wool pad to knock down all the high spots and then a sanding pad to smooth it before hitting it with a heat gun. Then I did the standard spray bottle and heat gun method to add texture.

I picked up some pipe insulation from Home Depot to cover the corners. I'll play around with velcroing them on later.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell...ylene-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-OEP07838/100539941

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used 2 sheets of blue foam because I already had it from another project and pink foam for the rest. I have to say that the blue foam works way better! The pink foam melts under the dremel. The foam melts into lave that the dremel slings everywhere melting the foam where it lands. After some sanding and heating it looks fine. Just be careful because it goes everywhere.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the front done this morning before it got really hot outside. It hits about 115 during the day here in AZ.

Here is a close up of the blocks.

I've got one more short side to do before I can start painting.

For the top trim I'm thinking that I will build a frame that's the same size as the Mausoleum to attach the foam to. With the foam attach it will overlaps the top of the Mausoleum like a box lid. I will probably pick up another sheet of 4x8 foam and rip it into 4 strips 1 foot wide and carve out the block as 1 foot squares.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts