Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to build somthing a little different but am having some problem's....
I am trying to create the feeling that u are rolling along say in a sitting or lying position but without having somthing physically moving forward or back. I kind of want u to be able to feel like your going down an old dirt path with moving, but do want moving parts to work this... I know this is wired but if someone has any ides would be great...

This is going to be a 2nd attraction to are haunt this 2009 year and is somthing that I have had on my mind for a real long time also going to be a huge prop when finished...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of!!!!! also similer to the LAST RIDE simulator but with ten times the "twist and turns" lol hahaha....

·
Banned
535 Posts
Well if you had things on the wall swinging towards them and turning towards them then that might have that effect when walking through. Thats all i can think of.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am more looking for the feeling of say a horse and buggy going down a old dirt path...so a rolling bumping motion not sure.....There will be several movements to this prop but this is the basic idea...

·
Banned
535 Posts
ok how about those conveyor (sp) belt rollers under neath plywood with cams so the roller would bump and roll run by a motor. Then cover boards with dirt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking a long those lines but wasn't sure if u would feel the rolling motion I even have an old treadmill to play with for parts.. so it's more of would u feel it say if you were riding in a old buggy inside a coffin on the way to the cemetery about to buried alive.

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is a (hard to explain) Sheets that move in the opposite direction that you are traveling. Have scenes painted on the scrim/sheets. To achieve the effect you would need to make a tunnel of this material, and it would need to loop around to start over. Thinking about in the movies when you see the dry cleaners with the clothes that turn around on the rack, maybe use a driving mechanism such as this.

·
Banned
535 Posts
if you do use the conveyor you could add springs under it so when the cam on roller hit pop coffin up a bit then it would hit the springs then bounce a little bit.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
A CONVEYOR??? My goodness, people, let's keep it real.
We've used a deck made of pallets that were elevated an inch and a half down the center to make the thing rock from side to side. That plus strobe lights made it appear that one was moving faster and farther than they really were. But they were still moving. At least that's something you can pull off. A Conveyor; whatcha gonna do, check out the airport, see if they're having a yard sale?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I'm not one to belittle anyone else's efforts. I've spent HOURS putting together props myself. But you have to keep in mind that these effects are to be used for, what, eight-ten hours max?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Play nice people. Some people have a lot more money or have access to materials a lot of others don't. I don't think any idea is too outlandish. It makes the juices flow to come up with cheaper ways to create things. Now to get off my high horse (damn I'm getting dizzy).

If the coffin is closed you can still just use the noises of the clip clop of the horses hoofs, the squeek of buggy springs, the neighing and crack of whip. You can use the air bags and pneumatics under the coffin but, that again gets more spendy for a lot of people. They aren't going to really notice being moved in a coffin unless it bounces. The coffins are pretty air tight so they aren't going to feel a breeze or see anything if the top is down. The springs in a buggy is supposed to dampen the feel of the road but, a few bumps are inevitable. I would go cheap and just use a very small pnuematic or a large enough motor to raise and drop the coffin about an inch in one of the corners. It's pretty cheap and they will feel the bump in the road without really hurting the person in the coffin. I think the noise is what is going to matter (that is if the coffin lid is closed). Good luck and let us know how it comes along.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WoW this is really taking off!!!!!!!!!! But don't want any one getting made on this lol

No but really what I am looking to do here is somthing similar to "THE LAST RIDE" prop but with a much bigger twist....I do have a large budget for this build and already have wood and stuff... I also have an old treadmill that I could use in the build.

I don't want to give to much away as for the whole set-up but will give a basic idea, We are going to have an old jail coach/buggy that house a coffin and YES we will be using pneumatics for some of the movement. BUT this is where I was having some problems I really want the person inside the coffin feel like they are being wheeled down an old dirt path. WE also plan to have a fake looking crane on the prop to make it look like u are actually being lowered into you grave. I have almost all the other movements figured out from the lowering to being shook around in the coffin.

all try to answer a few of you guyz other ???? separate a little later..thankz for all the responses this going to be a fun build that will be a huge attraction other then the Haunt this year....

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I think Gym's idea is a good one. Have the coffin mounted on a 1" to 2" board that can to throw the coffin off kilter...you can bounce the coffin from side to side or front to back depending how you lay the board underneath...make sure to have blocks that are removable in the corners to stabilize the whole thing so it doesn't bounce when you don't want it to

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Most People Buy this effect

in a bottle..in a Tavern or liquor store.
You are looking at alot of figuring and work.
You get it done, then it doesn't quite work or work well enough to be worth your efforts....then what?
Designing and building stuff is much more tricky than it looks to be...if it actually has to do what it is supposed to do....then you may have to build it again to make it gain some needed longevity, if it breaks too easily, then you have still wasted time and money.
Quickly fixing things on a Saturday night in October is not what we are supposed to be doing right then!
Work safe. Think first. Have fun!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with u Gym safety is a big concern but I know I can build this and make it work....I have built some cool things and I think that this could be a n easy enough build once the ideas are all layed out....I have a bones living in Sudbury Ontario Canada, it being the mining capital of the world and have many friend at INCO I have a unlimited supply of Pnumatic acc. A close friend is a Millwright and runs one of the larges garage up here well he just got the promotion lol woo hoo for him but also for me........I can get anything for 3/4 the cost and an unlimited supply for are prop building needs I also have hired him as are welder for the shop/haunt and hehe he's an actor too.... So really $$$ isn't an issue I am in the processes of build and having are own portable haunt, and really just want extra $$$ maker.... I could just go buy "The Last Ride" witch is a great prop but I want somthing different somthing a little more intense, different I have a few concepts I am working on for it and am really excited about this would be the biggest prop we have done may even be somthing we sell....

So really all the ideas that have come threw are great just giving us more to work with please keep them coming we will keep u updated...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Well, you can move them up, down, side to side, whatever all day but if you don't give them a visual of some kind, I'm not sure how your going to get the point across with just movement and sound effects.....Everything I can think of in the entertainment field that does this kind of thing has a video of some sort to give this allusion....May be really hard to pull off otherwise....ZR

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
u mean like some sort of monitor or small LCD for inside the coffin??? We had kind of thought of this and doing a kind of SAW thing with the set up but wasn't sure about putting a screen inside the coffin cause it would take away some of the realism and also light up the inside of the coffin...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts