Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to create a display that uses light / sound to create the singing pumpkin display I have seen around. However I want to control more than 8 different objects simultaneosly. 16 would probably be plenty. I have seen people talk about the K74 which I have looked at but it is limited from what I can tell. Also seen stuff about DMX which I've never heard of before.

So, can anybody help lead me in the right direction. I have a pc available to do all the stuff with just need help with figuring out all the relay type stuff as I'm new to this.

I will be using speakers hooked up to pc to for sound (probably several different sound tracks) that I will sync up to lighting of different props for singing effect.

Thanks in advance for any help / advise.

·
Registered
233 Posts
well it all depends on what you want. Do you want to spend the money now and have the ability to expand in the future of do you want to go the cheaper route now and have it cost more in the end? You have a lot of options and need to figure out a budget first. I am taking the dive into a laptop controlled system and believe me its like opening Pandoras wallet! I will be into it well over $1500 to do what you want including cables software ssr relays controllers pressure pads and of coerce the almighty dmxercist! If your ready to take the plunge, I can help you with your options :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm looking to start out small just the light display synced to music. I would like to be able to reuse for xmas as well which is why the 16 relays. I have looked at light-o-rama but it is just too pricy for me. The K74 looked nice but I cannot chain it and I would like a usb solution just so I don't have to keep an old clunker of a pc up and running. This is what lead me to DMX still looking at this but I am unfamiliar with it.

If it was expandable that would be great which looks to be another benefit of DMX as I would eventually like to add pnuematic coffins and such to the same display.

So for now I'm looking for something as inexpensive as I can to get me up and running. If the wife likes it she may ok future higher expenses. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that looks interesting but it would get expensive. The other thing is this project is going to be outside so I need something that can handle some weather. I'm hoping to find somehting maybe less than $100 for now that can control up to 10 lights individually. Since the K74 does 8 that doesn't cut it. It does look like the fright prop one might do what I need but again it's pricy since you have to buy there controller too.

Any other suggestions? or controller types? I am open to alternatives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that looks nice too. well looks like if the wifey wants to have more than 8 items controlled it will be expensive. Maybe I can talk her down to the 8 and get the K74 as a first automated project. Then we can talk about spending more money.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ya but that is not dimmable either 2 things to think about for future dimmable boards = nice smooth chase sequences non dimmable on/off are not smooth. 2, check the output rating per channel for the boards 1 amp is weak thats only 120 watts of light per channel this board w/ heatsink does 8 amps that's over 900 watts per channel for foggers bigger lights etc and for $210 plus a $60 converter and software your set. Its your call , just some food for thought
ACx16 - Platinum Edition

1 - 9 of 9 Posts