Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just moved shop into a makerspace that has a ton of cool machines and lots of creative people to collaborate on. So of course one of my first thoughts was that I can do all kinds of cool Halloween related projects there!

Because of this, I was wondering: What problems have you run into when making props that you'd like solved?

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I never seem to have enough time! :) So if you can find a way to squeeze an extra six hours or so into every day that would be awesome! :D

Seriously though my biggest problem has been internal structures that aren't strong enough. My groundbreaker has a weak spine and my gargoyle has a broken leg. It's my fault in both instances because I was trying to use only tightly rolled newspaper for the structure of one and the other was a contest entry where the total cost had to be under $20. Both will be repaired and reinforced and future projects will reflect a little better planning.

Congratulations on your new space and am anxious to see what you come up with. :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
LIZZY! How funny! I have just the opposite problem. I make some of my things way too heavy since I have quite alot of scrap steel to "play with"
But, I am open every night and not much gets stolen or vandalized when it's welded,bolted together steel items-(The "Plus' side)
When "They" removed the linseed oil from oil-based paint and painted metal objects outdoors faded a Yr. or two later... made most of my creations look like Krap! GRR!
But I found i can still buy such paint from a Farm Supply Store ,since those $300,000 Tractors can't be allowed to fade away!
Ford-Blue,International Orange, Harvestor, Catepillar Flat yellow, Massey Red? John Deere Green and bright Yellow...

Reactions: Greenwick

·
Halloween Elitist
2,891 Posts
Storing them...sure it's easy to get amped up to create an epic prop but you have to consider how to build it so it can be taken apart and and stored away compactly for use again not unless you are not going to use it again and plan on selling, giving away or trashing it which would make the concern about storage a moot point.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
I'd love to see some posable hand armatures, something that would go into a costume hand or glove and allow the prop hand to be posed in multiple positions. I've done them with bic pens and wire, just wire, etc, but a nice sturdy armature would be great.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Storing them...sure it's easy to get amped up to create an epic prop but you have to consider how to build it so it can be taken apart and and stored away compactly for use again not unless you are not going to use it again and plan on selling, giving away or trashing it which would make the concern about storage a moot point.
I'm all about storage! Besides Halloween stuff, I have so many art/craft supplies, and really need a way to organize it. I'll be working on some stuff for this!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to see some posable hand armatures, something that would go into a costume hand or glove and allow the prop hand to be posed in multiple positions. I've done them with bic pens and wire, just wire, etc, but a nice sturdy armature would be great.
Sounds good! I have an interest in stop motion animation as well, so I think armatures would be useful for that as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never seem to have enough time! :) So if you can find a way to squeeze an extra six hours or so into every day that would be awesome! :D

Seriously though my biggest problem has been internal structures that aren't strong enough. My groundbreaker has a weak spine and my gargoyle has a broken leg. It's my fault in both instances because I was trying to use only tightly rolled newspaper for the structure of one and the other was a contest entry where the total cost had to be under $20. Both will be repaired and reinforced and future projects will reflect a little better planning.

Congratulations on your new space and am anxious to see what you come up with. :)
3d printing is going to be fun to play with for this! Since the cost is directly related to how much material is used, I'm going to be trying to get away with using as little material as possible, but still have strong flexible structures. Hopefully I can figure some stuff out as well that doesn't need to be 3d printed or cut with lasers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My problem is structure too. I have no building skills so I just try something and then it falls over & then I have to start again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
9 GAUGE WIRE:
Sold at Lowe's in 50ft spools, and various quantities on line.
I've used it for my 18 ft bat wings, most of my spiders' limbs, my dangling pest control guy, and the giant rat hands.
IMO the 9 gauge wire has just the right balance of strength and bend-ability.

Use one continuous length and shape the outline of your appendage (as in a hand) as though your doing a crime scene body outline.
This doubles the strength and is infinitely pose-able.

Hope this isn't a hijack - I'll be trying new things this year and thank Greenwick ahead of time for this potentially very helpful thread!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts