Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, brand new here and VERY excited about this coming halloween. This is the view of the alley I am forcing everyone who comes to my party to go down before entering through my back door.

Last year i used this foot pedal from amazon:
amazon.com/MLCS-9080-Billy-Switch-Deadman/dp/B000LJNJOE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1379907763&sr=8-9&keywords=foot+pedal

to activate both an amp (with an absolutely terrifying scream on loop) as well as a lightbulb right at eye level that illuminated this really inexpensive clown prop I bought. I just placed it on one of those steps and then covered the whole path with wood boards, so they didn't know which one would set something off. It was quite effective

But this year, I am packing this alley as full of horror as possible, and am looking to get another good scare in before that. Does anyone know a good dropping or jumping mechanism that will activate as someone walks by? And ideally make a sound of my choosing along with it. I saw some things like that at Spirit, but they were pretty expensive and didn't incorporate the sound.

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Spirit's Jumping Spider is a good prop. They are only $50 and there are 25% off coupons all over this board. There are lots of stories about people dropping to the floor when a spider jumped out at them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree! We bought 2 jumping spiders! First time I walked in the store and that thing jumping at me, making those creepy sounds - scared the beejeezus out of me!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just be sure to anchor the spider to the ground so he doesn't "walk" forward with repeated jumps. With a narrow alley like that, you'll need the spider to remain absolutely stationary, or become a trip hazard.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What a great alley to scare people with!!!!

The key to really scaring people is having them focus away from the scare. A really good tactic (especially when people know they're going to be scared) is the 'head fake'. Take your real scare (the thing that will jump out or light up or whatever) and hide it REALLY well. Then on the opposite side of the alley you put the head fake; a decoration that is hidden but not very well. People will walk down and once they spot the head fake they will stare at it waiting for it to jump out at them. Then BOOM, the real scare hits them from the other side. Always effective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes!

What a great alley to scare people with!!!!

The key to really scaring people is having them focus away from the scare. A really good tactic (especially when people know they're going to be scared) is the 'head fake'. Take your real scare (the thing that will jump out or light up or whatever) and hide it REALLY well. Then on the opposite side of the alley you put the head fake; a decoration that is hidden but not very well. People will walk down and once they spot the head fake they will stare at it waiting for it to jump out at them. Then BOOM, the real scare hits them from the other side. Always effective.

EXACTLY! i had never heard that term, but that's definitely the plan. for my first scare i'm going to have spotlights directly at them from top left, and a couple TVs on static way down the alley (bottom right), and as they walk past the bright spots, I have a scare top left.

Later on I am using that skeleton couple on top left in the dark with my new jumping spider (i took everyone's advice!) on bottom right. very excited!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
jkcom

Oriental Trading has these on sale right now for $19.99: http://www.orientaltrading.com/reaper-rising-from-the-grave-a2-93_878.fltr?prodCatId=90000+1605

I bought one last year from Spirit for $50 and thought it was wroth every penny. I was so happy to see these on sale at OT today that I ordered two more. I'm going to put different masks on them and turn off the sound so they all look like different props.

OT has free shipping if you buy $49 worth of stuff. They have lots of great things so it isn't hard to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oriental Trading has these on sale right now for $19.99: http://www.orientaltrading.com/reaper-rising-from-the-grave-a2-93_878.fltr?prodCatId=90000+1605

I bought one last year from Spirit for $50 and thought it was wroth every penny. I was so happy to see these on sale at OT today that I ordered two more. I'm going to put different masks on them and turn off the sound so they all look like different props.

OT has free shipping if you buy $49 worth of stuff. They have lots of great things so it isn't hard to do.
that does look pretty great. i have a set of tvs, one of which is going to play the ring, and one which will be static when turned on by a motion activator. this would be great to put behind them, and I may cover it with a black sheet to look more like samara's hair or something. but how is it activated? i won't be in place to use a remote..

and you said you can turn off the sound? that would be a big plus too..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts