Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I saw a pin the other day (and then promptly forgot it) about the best place to buy inexpensive manikins. I have bought a few in the past but was wondering where you all get yours.
Thanks,
Ellie

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
I also check CL and flea markets
Someone mentioned in another thread that they ask department stores if they have any that are being retired or thrown out

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think they would be hard to come by as I know I would hoard any that I could get my hands on. :eek:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Definitely ask local stores if they have any they want to get rid of. Something else to try is to regularly check behind stores, particularly if they are remodeling or closing down. Lots of good stuff gets thrown away then.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupid Utah does not have any "good" flea markets. Our antique prices are double what they are in California and Colorado as well. (big sigh)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had the nerve.:eek: I cant even barter at a yard sale. I just hand the money over without question and even feel weird leaving without buying anything.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
I wish I had the nerve.:eek: I cant even barter at a yard sale. I just hand the money over without question and even feel weird leaving without buying anything.
Funny stuff Ellie, sometimes I stop to check out a yard sale but notice right away nothing interests me so I'm trying to leave as soon as possible but feel weird rushing away, lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
The great thing about mannequins is because of their life-like nature, you can set up a scene with a live actor or 2 with 2 mannequins and your TOTs will be constantly wondering which is real or not. In the dark it is extremely difficult to tell. I've scared myself a few times by just turning around during my setup only to be confronted with somebody just standing there. haha. Oh... another tip is spelling "Mannequin" correctly when you do searches on CL. Also search using different spellings. It took me a while to figure out I was spelling it wrong for a while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha ha ha! I made a mirror last year that I was too scared to put up. Every time I looked at it I got the creeps. I cannot spell to save my life. Thanks for the heads up on that. I have a question and answer for pets in our paper and my daughter proofs it for me before sending it in. I do love spell check but did not even think about spelling when looking in CL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts