Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK been kicking around this idea in my head, Actually thinking of doing it in perhaps a PumpkinRot style even. Think of a groudbreaker, but rather than and the head move or arms move when tripped at ground level, what if it rose to say 5-6feet in height. Sort of erupting from the ground. It would need some kind of telescoping pole systtem for its spine that would expand to full height and say a quick, but not to fast speed, and one it did whatever it would do at the end of its max height, it would then collpapse back down onto itself to be retriggered. I suppose this would be either a mechanical or pneumatic method. Probably with some glowing led eyes etc and sound. Does this sound feasable to anyone? I'm looking for indeas and input on how to make this happen.

Forgedblades

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
Looking for that type of vertical height change I would think you might have to go pneumatic with a vertically placed scissor arm. If you wanted to do it with a motor and essentally a FCG (Marrionette) set-up but you would need a 2.5 - 3 foot crank arm That would take a lot of space because that would translate into a 5 foot diameter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Prop that rises 4 additional feet

Not that this will help you very much but my husband and I got two 4' cylinders that we used in our haunt for the small to large prop. One year we put an oversized mask on the prop inside a cage and made the small frame work to be around 4 1/2' tall. When it extended full height the arms moved forward towards the cage door where the ToTs were and the mask nearly touched the ceiling. We also used one of these for the scarecrow hiding behind the copse of corn stalks to hide the lower armature. Have you thought about using linkage that will give you a 4:1 ratio to raise the prop up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't thought of a linkage 4:1 type setup, and thus will have to try and figure out that might work. My original thoughts were more along the lines of a collapsable/expandable PVC pole system that would go rigid as it extends.. (concept anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts