Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all----please don't be offended by this...I'm not trying to offend anyone....we all have our own thing......I'm not into the whole gore thing...anyone know of any pro haunts that don't really feature gore?? I have been to many...all over...and except for disney....all seem to feature gore.... I love halloween and all things scary....but the gore is just too much for me...I L-O-N-G for the kind of haunts that were popular when I was a kid....I guess now they call it vintage---but I love the atmospheric, cozy, scary side of things....fog, dim lighting, witches, goblins, leave blowing through a grave yard.....that kind of thing......

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
They exist, but you have to go looking.

I've been to several that just don't HAVE gore, but don't exactly advertise it's lack.

You'll likely have better odds at corn mazes, and the like, I think. At least, all the ones I've seen were outside.

Check family friendly locations: Some local historical monuments do Halloween getups that are low/no gore.

Where are you? Might help track down specifics for you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Excellent question thinkscary. I'm not into it at all either. In my opinion, often the suggestion of "gore" is more frightening than the visual thing. As far as younger kids are concerned, they are able to fill in the blanks using their young imaginations that aren't tarnished by all the blood and guts we were brought up with. But it's quite scary to them none the less...

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
What general part of the country/world are you from, and how far are you willing to travel?
There's the Raven's Grin Inn in IL, and I imagine the owner will chime in on the thread soon.

I don't think you'll offend too many by having your own opinion on what sort of haunt you liked. There's a pretty wide range on here.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Our fantastic Dark Hour Haunted House is a great example in the DFW area. It is filled with the genius work of Allen Hopps and others and is all about the unexpected scare, wonderful actors, great story line and fantastic props and scenes. Check them out on the link. It is open year round with different shows.

Another great one that will open this season is Twisted Manor in the same general area. Again the same great stuff without all the gore.

·
I am the one who knocks
1,939 Posts
If you ever find yourself in Northern California during October, the Winchester Mystery House offers night tours by flashlight. Any "haunted" houses, mansions, or castles in your neck of the woods? I doubt places like that would favor severed heads and such. Good luck and have fun:)

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
I feel ya. I'm not offended or disturbed by over the top gore at all, my feelings on it are that I'm actually kind of bored with it. Same for clowns. Both were great concepts at first and really scary to boot, but now it seems they are just standard issue in every pro haunt. Haunts that think outside of the box are what I love. Like the Lovecraft themed haunt I saw last year (can't find the link now) or the Attic Hatch giant insect theme. Both very unique haunts that stayed away from having to blood and gore splashed over every square inch. As far as professional haunts go I think you will be hard pressed to find one that does not do what's popular to maximize profits, which seems to be pouring entrails and blood over a bunch of killer clowns with chainsaws. No offense intended to those doing this, it's just my personal preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts