Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on a couple of fake flame baskets. Built a couple of big ones with window fans in the past but I needed them smaller to use inside. Found some baskets in the right size for the 4 inch, supposedly, high velocity desk fans I got at the Walmart. Well the fans aren't as high velocity as I hoped and barely lift even the lightest weigh fabric. Any ideas how to save this project short of trying to find new fans with more lift?

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Try tissue paper.
It should be light enough to be lifted by the fans and still give a good effect with the lights if you cut it in the flame shape. It probably would be better to cut it into smaller strips than making one solid "flame" so it whips around well. You'll have to rig up some sort of tape/thicker paper reinforcement for attaching it to the fan at the bottom, but it should work in theory.
:)

Registered
You coulf build a "wind tunnel" in the baskets that takes the larger diameter of the fan and outputs to a small diameter opening. Short of that i would suggest getting a high output computer fan. Or i saw at lowes some high output desk fans for about $9 when i was going to build mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
OOPs we got badly sidetracked on other projects. Thanks for the suggestions. We had tried using a "flame" cut from a walmart bag and it does stay up right but it just won't move much. Tried a tissue it does work a bit better but I am concered that might not hold up for a whole weekend we'l be using it. Was hoping not to have to get new fans but it looks like we might have to if get the effect we're looking for.

Registered
try a chiffon or organza. that is what mine is made of. Also wind tunnel to funnel the air better and more forceful. Also cut a half circle out of the boittom of the "flame" this will allow air to travel better "through" it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts