Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of buying spotlights trying to find the right one. Especially if buying online and not really knowing what it will look like in person.

I have flood lights and spotlights that will light up a large chunk of yard or an entire haunt hallway. I also have small homemade LED spots that will light up a single tombstone (sort of).

I am trying to find an effective light that will tightly illuminate an area between 3-5 feet in diameter from about 5-8 feet away. I would prefer LED and I would like to be able to find it in true white and various colors.

What will I use it for? Lighting small sections of a cemetery. Lighting a corner of a haunt hallway from above. Lighting a specific area in a room like a desk or prop for example. I am looking for more of a spotlight than a floodlight effect. And I am having an especially hard time finding colored spot lights.

I am looking for input from people who have actually owned and used whatever they are suggesting. I am tired of guessing. So please do not respond with "perhaps you could try.......it might work". I need tried and true. Also please do not suggest I move the light closer to get the desired effect, that is obviously not an option.

I am hoping such an animal exists. My lighting never looks great because it is frequently either too harsh, too broad, or too low. Pictures of any suggestions in use would be awesome too. I know I sound picky but I don't know enough about lights and I just keep buying stuff that doesn't do what I need. Thanks for suggestions.

JW

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sounds to me like you need white LED bulbs, some colored gels and some cinefoil/blackwrap.

Cinefoil is basically black aluminum foil that is used to help control light spill from any kind of light.
Matte Black Cinefoil (per foot).jpg
In this photo, the cinefoil is used on a camera flash to direct it to a very specific area.

Another option would be to use PAR cans with barn doors.
254.jpeg
This may not be the best solution for your problem, but it does help to block light spill.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's a handy link: http://http://www.halloweenforum.com/request-tuturials-go-here/124320-help-haunt-prop-lighting-101-a.html#post1390562

I stand by my recommendation in the thread of LED color changing spotlights. I don't know if the seller in the link is still active, but I can tell you there are numerous sellers on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere, and they're easy to find. The bulbs are intensely colored for the area you need, and are incredibly long lasting. I gave one to a neighbor who was admiring the effect, and she's used it for over a year for landscape lighting. I would NOT recommend it for long distances, but as you say, you already have lights for those needs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gemmy-3-54-in-Green-LED-Outdoor-Spot-Light-88092/204070176#.UofN3MROM-I

I recently purchased three of the above lights (link) from Home Depot at 14.98 each. Green, red and blue. I'm happy with them. Yesterday I positioned the red and green for up-lighting two smaller sections of the front of the house. Positioned the blue one on the deck to highlight a hanging star and white wooden reindeer. Wow. The blue really brings out the white! I wish I'd had them for my skeletons last Halloween. I'll be buying a few more. The red and green are vibrant and should work well with your dimensions. I cannot attest to durability though. Home depot also has indoor white spots but seem to be out of stock.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, these are all great suggestions/solutions.

Dminor...I don't know why I didn't think of that. I use to be a photographer and we did that all the time. LOL. I guess I was in strictly halloween mode and forgot to think outside the box.

AuntBoo, I cannot get that link to work. Can you double check it? Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I will use some of these for my christmas display also.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
We went to Home Depot today and they didn't have the separate colored LED spotlights mentioned in this thread. Guess they could be ordered online.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We went to Home Depot today and they didn't have the separate colored LED spotlights mentioned in this thread. Guess they could be ordered online.
I ordered mine online and picked them up in the store but I wouldn't have had to since they had a bunch in the xmas lighting section. (none in the regular lighting aisle)

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked this afternoon and online it said SOLD OUT but some were available in my store. I may go next week and pick some up. They look like exactly what i want.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,117 Posts
I also have the Lowe's floodlights, and like them very much! They are about $11.

The detachable red/green lenses are made of a hard plastic that clips easily, and solidly, into place. I like these lenses more than some of the 'traditional' gel material that I've had. The only drawback to me is that the bracket that holds the light is a tad more fragile than I'd like, and I have had cracks develop if mis-handled (also read; kicked or tripped over :))

For reference, the elements lit in green (spanish moss on the fence, shovel blade, columns, etc) in these images are from the Lowe's floods....maybe it will help provide a sense of the cone/throw

Gravedigger2.jpg

Viewers 2.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used some of the $10 LED spots from Big Lots w/ color gels. I didn't care for them for the opposite reason so they may work for you. I wanted a wider beam and these were too tight and only lit one tombstone well at a time.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
This year I used the LED spots sold at Home Depot. Very good color, very bright, cheaper than the Spirit version and they come with a stake for holding them in the ground. I'll be getting more of them, probably after the Xmas stuff goes on sale. I still use smaller lights for highlighting and contrast, and I'm looking into using slide-type dimmers with them so the brightness doesn't overpower things when used for closeup lighting. Yes, the portability of battery-powered lighting is nice but these lights made a huge difference in my display this year.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
I purchased this LED spotlight from eBay this year and used it on my Cauldron Creep.

10W 12V RGB LED Underwater Pool Pond Light Spot Light IR Remote Waterproof

It went over big and I just love it. You can change the color, brightness, cycle, strobe and it's waterproof. It also comes with a remote to change the settings. I added my own stake to the bottom with a piece of aluminum stock.

I loved it so much I ordered 2 more for next year.

I also used the LED floods from Lowe's (bought and kept 2) and the LED spot from Home Depot (blue and very bright.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I purchased this LED spotlight from eBay this year and used it on my Cauldron Creep.

10W 12V RGB LED Underwater Pool Pond Light Spot Light IR Remote Waterproof

It went over big and I just love it. You can change the color, brightness, cycle, strobe and it's waterproof. It also comes with a remote to change the settings. I added my own stake to the bottom with a piece of aluminum stock.

I loved it so much I ordered 2 more for next year.

I also used the LED floods from Lowe's (bought and kept 2) and the LED spot from Home Depot (blue and very bright.
That looks like a really nice set up. I have 2 questions:

1. Does it use a regular plug or do you have to hook it up to a transformer?
2. In the photos online it looks like a ring of color with a large white spot in the middle. Is this just bad photography or is that accurate?
671647505_o.jpg

Do you have any photos of yours in use? I am very interested in this. Thanks.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
1. It uses 12VDC so you would have to connect it to a DC power supply. I use a hacked computer PSU but you could use a 12VDC transformer (wall wart).
2. I would say it's just poor photography of the spot about 1 foot away from a white wall and making the brighter part appear washed out.

You can see my video of the Cauldron Creep with the spotlight set about 6 feet away set to the fade mode so it cycles through the entire color range.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a handy link: http://http://www.halloweenforum.com/request-tuturials-go-here/124320-help-haunt-prop-lighting-101-a.html#post1390562

I stand by my recommendation in the thread of LED color changing spotlights. I don't know if the seller in the link is still active, but I can tell you there are numerous sellers on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere, and they're easy to find. The bulbs are intensely colored for the area you need, and are incredibly long lasting. I gave one to a neighbor who was admiring the effect, and she's used it for over a year for landscape lighting. I would NOT recommend it for long distances, but as you say, you already have lights for those needs.
ABSOLUTELY agree! Here is the effect I got with these same lights. BEST investment I have made in all my years of yard haunting. There is a total of 11 in my display.

·
Registered
438 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts