Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by the Motorized Secret Entrance project on instructables, my plan this year is to create a haunted room with secret entrance on our patio.

I can probably scavenge some 2x4s to set up the wall scaffolding. What is missing is panels to go on top of the beams to create somewhat durable walls. Looking at Home Depot the best option I have found thus far is $8 per 4x8 ft foam panel. For those with more experience constructing haunted houses, are there cheaper options available? I was looking for thick cardboard panels but have not had much luck finding them at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looking at Home Depot the best option I have found thus far is $8 per 4x8 ft foam panel. For those with more experience constructing haunted houses, are there cheaper options available? I was looking for thick cardboard panels but have not had much luck finding them at a reasonable price.
Sheet cardboard is slightly more expensive than the foam. I pay about $12 for 4x8 cardboard sheets (I cut them up into target backers). I've been using foam walls in my outdoor haunt for the last 5 years and they're just wearing out now. It's a pain to dress them, but half a decade of use and abuse isn't too shabby.

1,536 Posts
Honestly $8 for foam doesn't sound too bad.. depending on the type of foam that is, you didn't say. Here the 2"x 4'x 8' pink foam most of us use is over $30 a sheet.

Check out your area craigslist. We find all kinds of great stuff there free or cheap. You might be lucky enough to find someone getting rid of plywood or acrylic roofing panels. Once we were able to find free used large sheets of plastic corrugated sheets to build a space ship interior with... held up to 2 months of shows with just a 2x4 frame. Another time a pro haunter was getting rid of his old wall panels and get a number of them free. One never knows what you'll find until you look.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you are okay with cardboard, look into refrigerator boxes. I got mine free from Lowe's, after somebody else bought the fridge. They're very thick and sturdy, but obviously NOT waterproof so that can be an issue.

Masonite (aka "hardboard") or luan (the really thin plywood sheets) can work just fine. I'd still want to protect them from any incoming water, most likely by painting, but both are more durable than cardboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!
FYI, the $8 Home Depot insulation foam panels I mentioned are 0.5" thick.

Since my project will only be up for 2-3 days I will be going with cardboard instead. The local Dollar Tree stores have 2.3 ft x 3.3 ft cardboard panels for $1 each.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,
I know I am a little late, but just throwing this out there, maybe someone can try to use it next time. Might take a little planning ahead of time but for cheap panels you can try using 4'x8' sheets of Coroplast, (corrugated plastic sheets) the kind they sell at Home Depot for $15+ a sheet. I know that's expensive but this is where my planning ahead of time comes in.

Those 4x8 sheets are the same kind that people running for local election use to put up their billboards on homeowners fences during election season (at least here in Texas) and you know they never return to remove them after the elections are over and they become eyesores.
So, if some Halloween haunters were to show their civic pride and tell the homeowner they are there to remove them...well there you go...instant panels. Never had a homeowner say "No, I think I like the way that sign looks on my fence, I think i will keep it".

Then all that is needed is to paint them whatever color you need.

Just a thought....hope it can help someone

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you're looking for a roof may I suggest a billboard sign. They are printed on one side and black on the other. My neighbor works for a sign company and they get rid of them when the contract is over.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Hi guys,
I know I am a little late, but just throwing this out there, maybe someone can try to use it next time. Might take a little planning ahead of time but for cheap panels you can try using 4'x8' sheets of Coroplast, (corrugated plastic sheets) the kind they sell at Home Depot for $15+ a sheet. I know that's expensive but this is where my planning ahead of time comes in.
We started using black Coroplast panels in our maze a couple of years ago, it works very well, it's light weight, fairly sturdy, and weather proof. As of this season we have now converted almost all of our panels over, we buy the sheets at a plastic supply store and I think we pay $10.99 CAD / sheet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts