Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get some cheap flange mounted ball bearings? I'm thinking about a 1/4" or 5/16" bore. These can be low quality. Grainger, McMaster- all too expensive. Any ideas?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Do you need ball bearings or would a sintered brass bushing do the job?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummm- not sure- what is that?

basically, I'm setting up a long shaft at the end of a motor, with various cams on it. I wanted the ball bearing mount for the other end of the shaft. It's low radial load, and a slow speed- just anything to reduce friction, ya know? Can you explain what that is?
Thanks

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
ummm- not sure- what is that?

basically, I'm setting up a long shaft at the end of a motor, with various cams on it. I wanted the ball bearing mount for the other end of the shaft. It's low radial load, and a slow speed- just anything to reduce friction, ya know? Can you explain what that is?
Thanks
Here's an example:

Oilite Sintered Bronze Flanged Sleeve Bearing FF-312-2 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD x 1/2" Length - SmallParts.com

This one has a 1/4" ID, but they have a large selection. I've bought these from Small Parts recently, and the parts are high quality. The material is oil-impregnated (self-lubricating).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huh. That's interesting. So you think this will work? How do I mount this into wood?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You want a "pillow block" We get em at grainger at a huge discount as a biz and a huge volume. With out the discount I wouldn't get anything from grainger or fastenal. Off hand I cant think where else to get em but do a google search and check the pics to make sure itll work, I gather by the discription its what you need. Troy

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
huh. That's interesting. So you think this will work? How do I mount this into wood?
Just drill a hole to match (or slightly smaller than) the OD of the barrel, not the flange. Press the bushing into the hole. Alignment is important, make sure the hole is perpendicular to the wood surface.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah either the pillow block or flange would work for my use. Doesn't matter HOW it's mounted, I can adapt the setup to the mount... just need it cheap. These bushings are interesting tho. They MIGHT work- just not sure how to mount them. Maybe get the ones with a flange on the edge- drill a whole through the wood for it to sit in, and then use a washer/nut on each side to keep it in place? The shaft is threaded rod so that would be possible. Just not sure if it would work completely right. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
for that drill a hole the size of the small part. drive into hole and the lip will keep it from sliping out. Id use the pillow block if you want it to last a long time and not make unwanted noise. the flange is cheaper and you can get em at your local hardware store. The pillow block has an actual bearing and is easy to mount to wood and has a set screw to secure it to the shaft so you dont have a sloppy movment.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah- that would probably work... and it's only $1!!! I doubt local big box hardware stores care these??

·
Registered
33 Posts
i'm on grainger some are like 150.00 200.00 but theres a cheaper version like 20.00. I'll see if I can find the style. Then a better supplier.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
thanks for the link Diabolik. Thats the best price I've seen.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That surplus center looks perfect! Thanks for the link!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts