Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for ideas on how to do the following

i would like to have some pipes in my display that i can ligth up so that only the pipe lights up.

preferably using LEDs.

Regular PVC is probably out as the light wouldnt shine thru enough.

WHat other materials or ideas do you guys have for this?

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
The greatstuff trick they use for fire pits might work. Basically they put green stuff over the light and then spray the greatstuff black. The light shines out of the thin or not foamed areas. Really convincing for coals. If the led blinks that makes it look like he is taking puffs. Not sure if that is what you were looking for.

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
If you want to have lengths of PVC pipe illuminated, then I'd think the easiest way would be to paint them with UV-reactive paint and place them under a fluorescent tube-style blacklight. Might not be the look that you're going for though.

If you want the pipe to be illuminated from within, then PVC's going to be too thick. I've seen thin, clear plastic mailing tubes (in various lengths) somewhere in my wanderings on the internet, so might want to run some Google searches on that. Could spray the outside with frosted glass spraypaint to diffuse the light inside; also crumple up wax paper and stuff it inside the pipe, and then maybe even do a thin wash of black paint over the outside to tone down the brightness some more?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup want to light them from inside not from outside. essentially i am thinking of an organ where i can light up each pipe separately to the music

will be out looking for materials this weekend

i know there is a plastic pipe that would work and diffuse the light but i think it doesnt come in larger diameters. we use them for christmas light archez and such

i use the foam for a fire pit but not sure how to make pipes with it

·
Registered
142 Posts
What about using the clear tubes that hardware stores sell to put over fluorescent tubes for breakage protection. You might be able to frost the inside with by pouring in some thinned paint, shaking to coat and pouring off the excess

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was thinking you only wanted the end to light, why I suggested greatstuff so the bowl would light. As far as making things out of greatstuff, I find that it actually takes to a mold well. It holds paint well etc, the trouble is when you cut it. The inside has a different texture and is very porous, the outside has a harder skin. I have actually made large mushroom tops by spraying greatstuff into old chrismas decoration storage containers. I get a concave and very paintable mushroom cap.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Are we talking "pipe" as in something you smoke, or "pipe" like a pipe organ. I get the impression you're talking the musical variety...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup pipe as in organ pipes

as far as season for pool noodles not a problem in Florida but they do not allow light to come out.

will be on the lookout this weekend

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I thought I saw some plastic tubes that you could put inside golf bags, to keep the handles and shafts of golf clubs from banging into each other. Those might work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts