Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking at old cars. It's a sickness, I know. I'd really like to get an old garage find and restore it. I've looked at Model As, Hupmobiles, Plymouths, etc. If anyone has a barn find they want to get rid of for $2K or less, please let me know. You know I'll take care and restore it with love.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last week there was a 1929 Model A 4-door (parts car) for sale on Craigslist. Seller was asking $2,000 for it.

I found the ad again this week and the seller has dropped the price to $1,650. If I call, I can probably negotiate even lower. It's not a pretty vehicle. It would need a lot of love. Probably take me several years to restore it.

Doesn't that sound wonderful?

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Having seen what you can accomplish with a house TK, I'm sure your automobile would come out fantastic. I just can't get over your ambition level! We are still working our way thru a yard landscaping (almost done there) and then have to finish up our downstairs remodel...we aren't doing any of this ourselves...and all I can think is I can't wait till all the work is done. You're amazing! Maybe we should have hired you! Any way, the car in the second post reminds me of Cruella DeVille's car. May not really look like it but as a kid that's what I remember it looking like, style wise, when I saw 101 Dalmations at the movie theater.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1925 hupmobile has been relisted at a lower price. It looks fun, but I don't know anything about hupmobiles. I don't even knowif I'd fit in one!

I'm a complete sucker for suicide doors. It's an absolute must for anything I finally decide to restore.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For some reason, my wife is really against the idea of me buying a broken down shell of a car and restoring it in the garage over a few years.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife has said I can't get an old car and restore it as a Halloween vehicle (for now) but that doesn't stop me from looking! Found this 1939 Ford on eBay.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And this one is still on Craigslist. The price keeps changing and I'm really starting to wonder what's wrong with it. Regardless, I won't be buying it because I have to respect the wife.

(BTW, how come I have to listen to her when she says, "No!", but she never seems to listen to me?)

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Tk, that old Model A is a big project!!! Really for the shape it's in, its more of a parts car or a shell for a rat rad. I've been thinking about buying an old station wagon and modifying it to look like a hearse. The wife might go for that! Fold down the seats and slide a casket in. You could take the kids on a family vacation just buy removing the casket and flipping the seats back up. I was thinking about casting an aluminum skull for the hood. You can buy the landau bars for the back new. I though about grafting a Cadillac front clip on to it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
The problem with getting a car make like Hupmobile is parts. Model A Fords are so plentiful that there is booming business in making new reproduction parts. The more obscure the make, the more difficult it becomes to get parts. I restore Studebakers, which have big organized clubs and many vendors reproducing parts, and still sometimes parts for these are not readily available.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I'm not getting a Halloween car any time soon, but I do enjoy looking! This is a little younger than I'd like, but it's gorgeous. And once again, love the suicide doors.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
2 days ago a call on our answering machine was a guy trying to sell a 1979 Cad Hearse, he said it runs but might junk it out if he can't sell it. He talked too fast for my ears, maybe he was nervous or just really did not want to sell it? (People talk faster when someone has one of their arms twisted up behind the back.)
1989 Olds Custom Cruisers were often used as hearses in small communities. This is what I was told when I bought mine by a Doctor from such a small community.

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Wow. I don't know where to begin. Ok. I love station wagons and hearses. Some of those old rust rats are great ideas but for me personally all I can think of is a Tommy gun sticking out of the window when looking at them, even if the gun is being held by a half rotted zombie mobster. Station wagons offer much when it comes to possibilities. Hearses do too but some make it harder to be conspicuous when it comes to family outings. I've always wanted to make a doomsday/apocalypse machine and honestly would rather do it with a wagon merely because I think adding a hearse detail gives even more character to the "after the end of the world" motif. On that note... I'm not able to do such at this time. Secondly, I would like to point out that you can make virtually any car have suicide doors but if you are planning on having it be a road worthy vehicle and want them to be legal or just to get away with it. they should be disguised as regular doors or unopenable above 5mph, 10 in some places. For a show piece, go as crazy as inhumanly possible.
I really favour the '39 Ford as it has a lot to offer as well as so much the it already brings to the table. You the age, rust and patina, broken bits, and space to work with.
Gym, I love almost every hearse made but I have a special place in my heart for the low-cost budget hearses that were often little more than coroner's wagons with removable Landau bar panels. Did you call the guy back?

LD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts