Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I was wondering if any of you could give me a bit of advice. I am a Haunter, and prop maker.
About a year ago, I decided to start making sculptures and molds to allow myself to make castings. Currently, I have been making casts Out of resin. So far, I have made life-size prop heads (with built in receptors for standard PVC), life-sized heads mounted to plaques and frames,Smaller heads that can be ornaments, bottle stoppers, chest pieces, and other things, and I have some medium size products in the works.
This is where I could use your advice. This year I would like to start selling some of my work, But I really have no idea how to reach people. I have made sales but only through people that have contacted me via my Facebook page. My goals are realistic with this, I don't intend to quit my day job or expect it change my lifestyle. I just want to continue doing it because I absolutely love it! I could really use some advice on marketing, pricing, and how to go about selling in general. If you would like to see what I'm working on, please check on my page on Facebook
I would appreciate any advice!
Thanks very much,
Paul
My page can be found here. https://m.facebook.com/paulizdead

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here is a simplified version of the advice I've been given for pricing: Time + Material Cost + Business Expenses + Learning curve

First, decide how much per hour you want to make. At least $20 per hour is recommended.
Next, figure out how much the product in question required in materials.
Third., consider how much your business expenses are - taxes, workspace rental, machinery purchased, time or money spent on accounting
Fourth, consider how long it took you to learn the skills to make your product. If this is a product you learned new skills on, think about how often you'll make things using those skills. Try to estimate how long it will take to complete similar projects now you know what you are doing.

After adding all that up, consider how much less you'd feel comfortable charging. If you calculate the actual price as $300, would you feel okay with $250? $200? Keep moving the price point to see where your limit is.

Look at similar products and what the going rate is. Sometimes even though we love making a certain product, the market may not bear the actual price it costs to produce. In that case, it is important to try to find out what you can do to differentiate yourself from your competitors. You are making art, though, which has the benefit of a built-in difference. No one else can make your art.

Lastly, it's better to raise the price later than lower it. People who buy from you at a lower rate will consider themselves lucky they got a good deal. If you lower your prices on identical items, it can make people feel cheated. So as you test the waters & figure out how much to charge, it can be good to aim lower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts