Halloween Forum banner

Looking for Advice, Marching Band Props, Lake Orion, MIchigan

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TheCostumer 
#1 ·
Font Text Blackboard Darkness Metal

Hello-

I'm an art instructor and graphic artist living in SE Michigan. My children are members of the Lake Orion Marching Band.

I served as prop designer and primary artist for the band's 2013 show, a ghost story which was heavily influenced by the Tim Burton quirky style. We placed 2nd in the state of Michigan and just missed semi finals at the National level by one.

But the season's over. Now we have a ton of cemetery props which we have no use for. I've uploaded performance photos to an album here. Take a look and give me some opinions on what to do with all this stuff!

We're a non-profit organization run by volunteers. Each year we squeeze every penny just to get these kids to competitions. I have no idea if these items have any resale value and no expectations of earning back the amount invested in time and supplies. Having said that, it wouldn't be horrible to sell a few of these items and put a little money back into the prop budget for next year.

I've worked on every single item shown and can answer any questions you may have- but really, what I'd really appreciate is a fair estimate of their value and if there are websites or other resources which could help us give these items a good home without loosing money. I think we can sell some items to parents and local families, but it'd kill me to let most of my work gather dust in a barn.

Cemetery includes:
16 tombstones- 4'x3', double thickness 2" insulation foam. hand carved with hot knife. faux stone paint treatment via air brush and dry brush. NO names on the tombstones. each on wooden rolling base. foam attached to base with magnets. handmade spanish moss pinned to foam.

2 gate pillars- 9' tall with flat wooden caps. foam on 3 sides. rolling bases. spanish moss attached with velcro

1 gate arch- added to pillars makes for just under 12' tall. quick assembly from back. conduit with pvc letters.

fully functional gate- swings open "magically" via rope pulley. 15' span. wooden frames, conduit, pvc rings, mirror and spanish moss attach via velcro

12' Celtic Cross- wooden 3' cube base. triple thickness 2" insulation foam. disassembles for transport. 2"x2" wooden rod running entire length of cross and down into wooden base.

So Halloween Experts? What would you do with all this stuff???????

Thanks,
Amy

See less See more
#3 ·
Also advertise on craigslist. Someone def would buy these. Any haunted attractions in your neck of the woods ?- they def would be interested. I am no expert, but truly at least $500 for all you have listed to maybe $1000. These items are huge and look spectacular. Give it a little time for our members that live closer to you to make comments. This def would "take the cake" on somebody's haunt or lawn.
Post on you tube also. Alot of pros on there too that might want to take it off your hands. I simply love that gate. Any videos of your band performing?

#6 ·
Any haunted attractions in your neck of the woods ?- they def would be interested. Any videos of your band performing?
Thanks, I'm just starting to figure out what to do with this stuff and appreciate the advice.

We have the usual corn mazes but I'm really not sure about major haunted house attractions. Until I researched here and on YouTube for this show, I didn't even realize Halloween displays were such a major hobby. I'm so amazed by what you folks do!!!

Sadly, music copywrite law prevents us from posting video of the show online. The kids played Danny Elfman's "Ice Dance" (the song from Edward Scissorhands where he sculpts the ice angel) mixed with "In the Hall of the Mountian King" by Edvard Grieg. I don't think Greig would mind anymore but Elfman's lawyers would have something to say...

#4 ·

I know quite a few haunters in Michigan and would say add some close up pics and a new thread in the "for sale" thread section here at the Halloween Forum. Set a minimum of your totalled material expense and a bit of labor fees if you feel the need. Craigslist is always a good option and as well as Facebook group pages(including HalloweenForum.com FB page). Either way I would provide high resolution photo's for the ads/pages. Best of luck on the sale and Welcome to the HF! :D

#7 ·

Either way I would provide high resolution photo's for the ads/pages.
Thanks. If the board approves, I'll definitely take better photos. These were all competion photos taken from the stadium stands. I was lucky to find this many shots that included the cemetery. Parents tend to take more photos of their kids than the props :)

There's a whole 'nother half of the football field which I didn't show... Five 12' tall creepy windows which flicker during the lightning storm and a 30' long stage set up to look like an attic bedroom with a hidden elevator. The show had 30 girls all dressed as ghosts from different eras, so we had a lot of props that needed special features.

I'd have to spend an entire day thanking all the folks here who posted tutorials and techniques. This site was pretty darned valuable to a complete newbie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.