Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a quick way to trigger a prop. Has to be wireless. It is a prop from Spirit, and it only activates by pressing a button. I am looking for an off the shelf means to trigger it. A remote switch that triggers a relay, rather than the momentary switch that is built in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use a little X-10 wireless transmitter. The receiver could trigger what they call a PowerFlash module that will close a circuit like a button press.

I just looked one up and they're not as cheap as I remember. I would have thought that X-10 would start getting real cheap with the advent of all of the newer, better home automation technologies out there now (e.g. UPB, Insteon). Maybe ebay has cheaper ones.

http://www.smarthome.com/4060/X10-PF284-or-PSC01-X10-Powerflash-Interface/p.aspx

·
Registered
429 Posts
You want a unit like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CH-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Momentary-Toggle-/230383896036?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item35a3f345e4

It comes with a remote and a receiver that has a relay. Connect the "NO" and the "C" (these are "Normally Open" and "Common") to the Try Me or mat switch connector on the Spirit prop. And take all the little jumpers off the pins so the unit operates in "Momentary" mode.

I picked this seller on ebay because they're in the US. There are plenty of other sellers like them, I just bookmarked them because they had what I wanted at one point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You want a unit like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CH-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Momentary-Toggle-/230383896036?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item35a3f345e4

It comes with a remote and a receiver that has a relay. Connect the "NO" and the "C" (these are "Normally Open" and "Common") to the Try Me or mat switch connector on the Spirit prop. And take all the little jumpers off the pins so the unit operates in "Momentary" mode.

I picked this seller on ebay because they're in the US. There are plenty of other sellers like them, I just bookmarked them because they had what I wanted at one point.
I see that I would need to connect a 12v power supply. Ever try to just use a battery such as a A23 to power it? I would think it could power a small circuit just fine. The issue is that the prop will be moving, so it cannot be tied to a plug in power source. Even a larger battery pack would be a problem.
Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't used one but looking at it the power draw shouldn't be too much. You could always order one, try with one battery and see how long it lasts. If you need more time just build a parallel bank of them. Also depending on size/weight constraints, you could just use a bank of AA or whatever size to get the amperage you need. 10 AA/AAA/C/D whatever = 12-15v

·
Registered
438 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
FearingtonHouse
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing