Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to give my werewolf prop a voice, and I was hoping to find some sort of box I could put in him that would make growling and howling sounds, but I'm at a loss to find one or even know what to look for. I know there are animate werewolf props like the ones Spirit sells that have motion activated sounds, but I was wondering if anyone knows if somebody sells just the boxes that make the sounds?

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
How are you planning on triggering your sound?

Probably a unique solution, and one for the totally non-electronic haunter especially, is one I posted about a few times in the 2012 Big Lots thread...a Honeywell MyChime Door Chime with Holiday SoundCard. I bought two from Big Lots a few years back when they were closing out of them. You can still find them sold on Amazon and eBay for about $15 and up. Basically what you get is a battery operated wireless door chime with decent adjustable level sound, a separate remote trigger--the door bell button device, and a sound card (think proprietory memory card from Honeywell) with 5 alternate sounds you can use in addition to the built-in door chime options on the speaker unit. You can have the unit play just one chime, like the werewolf sound for example.

There are several options they had for this product. You can buy the basic unit which comes with a prerecorded sound card (Holiday--includes a sound from each of the optional cards), buy optional sound cards (one especially for halloween--it also has the werewolf on it as I recall and 4 other sounds), a software sound package option which has a Windows program that will allow you to customize your own chime sound with the software and transfer it to a recordable sound memory card included with the software. This runs off old Windows 2000 or XP software only and the software was never updated beyond that. The software and the blank recordable cards were also sold separately. if you've never updated your old PC this might be something worth considering but for most people it's not any longer.

We had a blast using the MyChimes in our set up one year. We had made a Reindeer Werewolf and wanted to add sound to it somehow. We sat on the porch with the candy and when we decided to trigger it we'd press the remote and a loud howl would come out from the speaker which we placed close to the werewolf. Fun to wait until the kids are close to it and then activate the remote. Got a few jumps. The units I bought from Big Lots came with the Holiday sound card and I also picked up the Halloween sound card for some additional sounds (like $5 online). I never bothered with the Windows software option. It was pretty easy to figure out how to select your chime option and set the volume. Plus if you needed a remote doorbell alert for some reason it was a functioning doorbell. Came in handy when the guy working on our BBQ needed to show me something and I was in the house. He used the remote doorbell at the BBQ and I had the Door chime in the house with me.

As I mentioned I picked up 2 of these units and put the werewolf howl on one and the animal growling on the other one and depending on which sound I wanted to play used that remote as the kids walked past the prop.

I'll see if I can locate the sounds available on each card and come back and post should you want to check this idea out further.

update:
The Holiday Soundcard that is included has the following on it (in addition to the 7 standard chimes):
We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Auld Lang Syne
America The Beautiful
**Howling Werewolf** (from the Optional Halloween Soundcard)
Sleigh Bells

The Halloween Soundcard has the following sounds:
A howling werewolf sound (same as on Holiday)
a screaming woman sound
a growling animal sound
a sinister laugh
and a moaning ghost.
Bought this card from this source on ebay, who is still selling them for $5.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bruzilla, I found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Player-Module-Remote-Control/dp/B005CT6AEY It is a small MP3 player module with a remote control that you plug in an SD card or thumb drive with your werewolf sounds on it. All you need are some powered speakers. It even has a nice faceplate with 4 mounting holes so you can mount it right into your prop and trigger your sound with the remote. Looks like it is easy to use and set up and its only $16 bucks!! I may have to order one for a future prop!!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
If you want to hear the sounds on the various Honeywell MyChime soundcards, they still have them posted on the Honeywell Store site. Click on the product and look for the Demo Chimes tab. Click on the first sound and it will sequentially play the rest. BTW it apparently needs Flash to display the playlist and play the sounds.

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/products/honeywell-rca2210n1003a-halloween-door-chime-soundcard.htm

For our UK haunters look for this product under the name of Friedland D001 MyChime in your area.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 4-channel relay remote controlled switch in the werewolf's head. One channel is being used to turn the lights for the eyes on and off, and I wired up a second channel to put power to a sound source. I was looking for one of those boxes like they put in the hanging werewolf props that Spirit sells that make the howling sound when a motion sensor detects movement, only I was going to replace the motion sensor circuit with the power from the remote switch.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ghost of Spookie THANK YOU!!!!! A door chime? never would have thought of it! Good to know it is still available. I am a VERY low-tec kind of guy....so am I right in thinking you have the option of transferring sounds from your PC to a sound card so you can make the chime play any sound or catch phrase?

I wonder, if I got two or three units and put them in three different props with different sounds each prop.....would the signal from the one button set them all off at once...or could all three be activated individually with the three individual buttons? This could raise my yard haunt to a new level. My Jack the Ripper could use a sinister laugh for example! A door chime....ingenious!!!
How are you planning on triggering your sound?

Probably a unique solution, and one for the totally non-electronic haunter especially, is one I posted about a few times in the 2012 Big Lots thread...a Honeywell MyChime Door Chime with Holiday SoundCard. I bought two from Big Lots a few years back when they were closing out of them. You can still find them sold on Amazon and eBay for about $15 and up. Basically what you get is a battery operated wireless door chime with decent adjustable level sound, a separate remote trigger--the door bell button device, and a sound card (think proprietory memory card from Honeywell) with 5 alternate sounds you can use in addition to the built-in door chime options on the speaker unit. You can have the unit play just one chime, like the werewolf sound for example.

There are several options they had for this product. You can buy the basic unit which comes with a prerecorded sound card (Holiday--includes a sound from each of the optional cards), buy optional sound cards (one especially for halloween--it also has the werewolf on it as I recall and 4 other sounds), a software sound package option which has a Windows program that will allow you to customize your own chime sound with the software and transfer it to a recordable sound memory card included with the software. This runs off old Windows 2000 or XP software only and the software was never updated beyond that. The software and the blank recordable cards were also sold separately. if you've never updated your old PC this might be something worth considering but for most people it's not any longer.

We had a blast using the MyChimes in our set up one year. We had made a Reindeer Werewolf and wanted to add sound to it somehow. We sat on the porch with the candy and when we decided to trigger it we'd press the remote and a loud howl would come out from the speaker which we placed close to the werewolf. Fun to wait until the kids are close to it and then activate the remote. Got a few jumps. The units I bought from Big Lots came with the Holiday sound card and I also picked up the Halloween sound card for some additional sounds (like $5 online). I never bothered with the Windows software option. It was pretty easy to figure out how to select your chime option and set the volume. Plus if you needed a remote doorbell alert for some reason it was a functioning doorbell. Came in handy when the guy working on our BBQ needed to show me something and I was in the house. He used the remote doorbell at the BBQ and I had the Door chime in the house with me.

As I mentioned I picked up 2 of these units and put the werewolf howl on one and the animal growling on the other one and depending on which sound I wanted to play used that remote as the kids walked past the prop.

I'll see if I can locate the sounds available on each card and come back and post should you want to check this idea out further.

update:
The Holiday Soundcard that is included has the following on it (in addition to the 7 standard chimes):
We Wish You A Merry Christmas
Auld Lang Syne
America The Beautiful
**Howling Werewolf** (from the Optional Halloween Soundcard)
Sleigh Bells

The Halloween Soundcard has the following sounds:
A howling werewolf sound (same as on Holiday)
a screaming woman sound
a growling animal sound
a sinister laugh
and a moaning ghost.
Bought this card from this source on ebay, who is still selling them for $5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts