Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a piece of hardware that will allow me to take a 1/2" PVC pipe and connect it to a 1/4" treaded rod but that has a free moving swivel that can be hand tighten into place.

I have a head with a PCV pipe coming out of the bottom that I want to attach to a 1/4" treaded rod at a neck. I want to be able to position the head in a specific way and then hand tighten it down. So you can turn the the head side to side and up and down (3-axis) or raise and lower the head and then when you have it the way you want you can just tighten it into place?

I'd prefer something that isn't reall big and bulky but pretty easy to connect. I can probably scale up the 1/4" threaded rod to something larger if I need to.

any ideas?

Jeff

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's something you might try:
Bend a piece of 3/4 X 1/8"aluminum flat stock forming a "U" (FLAT bottom) shape. Make the sides at least an inch long and the bottom of the "U" 7/8 " inside measurement.
Drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the "U" large enough for the 1/4" threaded rod to pass through. Drill holes in the upper end of the sides so that a bolt with washers and a wing nut can be used to tighten down on the 1/2 " PVC.
To mount place a nut, flat washer and lock washer on the threaded rod. Slip the aluminum"U"onto the rod and place a flat washer, lockwasher and nut onto the rod.
Drill a hole through the 1/2" PVC (to accept the bolt/ wingnut combo)
Place the PVC into the "U" and slip the bolt with a flat washer into the hole in the PVC.
Place lock washers between the aluminum and PVC as you slip the bolt through. I would suggest either internal or external tooth lockwashers to be used there. Push the bolt through the other side of the aluminum "U", another lock washer and tighten down the wing nut.
The PVC can be placed at the angle you want and the wingnut tightened to hold it in place.
The prop head can be turned in the direction you want by loosening the nut/nuts on the rod, turning the head and then retighten the nut/nuts....
Yes? No? What do you think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmm Just reread what you had written..
To be able to make this work without tools a wingnut could be placed on the threaded rod as the first nut which would be the one under the "U"...

·
Registered
47 Posts
One other thing that might help to hold the 1/2" PVC tighter would be to glue a coupling on the bottom end of the PVC and file two opposite sides flat. This would give more surface area for the internal or external lockwashers to bite into..
Then you'd half to measure across the coupling to figure out how wide to make the bottom of the "U"...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts